Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 03-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
sydney
Egg

Default A companion for my Horsfield?

Hi all,

I was thinking at some point in the future of buying another tort for my 07 Horsfield (Sydney). However, i've heard that 2 males don't particularly get along too well and also, a male and female combination would need to separated at times although i would be more than happy to breed them.

I'm worried that if i did get one and they both turned out to be male, they would have to live completely separate, defeating the object of getting a companion for Sydney?

As the sex of my Tort is still unknown, would it be wise in purchasing another Horsfield soon, or should i wait until the sex is determined? If i hang on for a few years, will this mean that ideally i will need to find another one of the same size/age?

Your advice is very much appreciated

Brad.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Joanne2407
Juvenile

It is totally up to you as to whether you wait for a couple of years to get another tortoise or to get one now. You are correct in saying that two males may fight and, therefore, need to be separated and that this may also be the case if you have a male and a female. I think that the best advice is to do what you think would work best for you. If you don't want to have to seperate the tortoises in the future then I would say to wait until you know the sex of your current tortoise and go from there. (A little warning - female horsfields are hard to come by)

Hope this helps until someone else comes along,
Joanne xx
Old 03-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
CJ
Sub Adult

Hmmm, tricky one! If it was me, I'd get another one now because I think it will be easier to get one of similar age (and because I wouldn't be able
to wait for a couple of years!!) But if you do, you need to make sure you have a spare table or something to put the new tortoise in if they do fight. You will also need to quarantine your new tortoise for at least 6 months before you introduce the two of them.
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
sydney
Egg

Thanks for your advice Joanne and CJ.

I'd like to think i'll wait for a while, but i don't think i can wait
Old 03-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
sandy
Adult

If you have a large enough enclosure, then fighting can be limited. As if you have enough things to break up the line of sight they can see each other so well
And having two males does not always mean fighting. But you have to be aware that they can fight. All this applies to male and female things too.
Having a large enclosure limits it all.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
sydney
Egg

Thanks Sandy.

What do think would be a suitable enclosure size for two 2 year old horsfields?

Brad