Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 19-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
abelly08
Egg

They have had hatchlings before yes, and I am not looking at hibernating them yet as I have only just got them. I have spent around £700+ so far and need to wait until after Christmas until I can furnish the top tier to put the male in and then when needed I will put the male with female to breed.
Old 19-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
Box girl
Sub Adult

Where will you keep the male till then?
You will only need to put the male with the female for a very short time as on a one to one males can be very agressive. Look at you housing for outside as well as they will need to be kept separate.

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #13
abelly08
Egg

I will keep them together until New Year, and I am going to partition a large area of grass and put a hide in, soil and rocks etc but looking at the safest way to stop them escaping at the moment for when it does come to putting them outside.
Old 19-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #14
Box girl
Sub Adult

As stells says you really should try and keep the male separate or he could hurt your female I keep one male to 8 females and have no problems that way.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
Old 19-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
abelly08
Egg

I am going to keep the male separate in new year when I have the lighting etc to put him in the top table as I can't afford to do the top one just yet. They will be separate but for now I don't have a choice, and they have always been kept together for 15 years and never been apart so I am sure another 2 weeks latest won't hurt them until they are separated. I am looking at getting a couple more females as someone suggested 3:1 ratio male to females.
Old 19-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #16
shaz
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelly08 View Post
I am going to keep the male separate in new year when I have the lighting etc to put him in the top table as I can't afford to do the top one just yet. They will be separate but for now I don't have a choice, and they have always been kept together for 15 years and never been apart so I am sure another 2 weeks latest won't hurt them until they are separated. I am looking at getting a couple more females as someone suggested 3:1 ratio male to females.
Dont mean to sound rude but should you really be getting them if you cant afford to care for them correctly from day one.

I picked up a male hermans a few months ago and fell in love with the horsefield that he was kept with so ended up with two when i was expecting only one. I had to separate them and MADE room and found money for lighting etc.
shaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #17
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelly08 View Post
I would suggest you DO NOT get another couple of females until you have experience with what you have now. Males can be extremely aggressive and females need their own space most of the time. It is not fair to keep them together always. It wouldn't happen in the wild and a table is small compared to living outside.

Re your table, you only need to put top soil in it and a clip on basking lamp to start with. You can swap the tortoises around for their dose of the UV until you get another. They also need to hibernate to breed.
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #18
abelly08
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelled Lady View Post
I would suggest you DO NOT get another couple of females until you have experience with what you have now. Males can be extremely aggressive and females need their own space most of the time. It is not fair to keep them together always. It wouldn't happen in the wild and a table is small compared to living outside.

Re your table, you only need to put top soil in it and a clip on basking lamp to start with. You can swap the tortoises around for their dose of the UV until you get another. They also need to hibernate to breed.
I understand it is not fair to keep them together always which is why the male is going to be separated and placed in the top bunk. I am going to look at hibernating next year as I am only just getting them. The previous owners always kept them together not me.
Old 20-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #19
Box girl
Sub Adult

Maybe the previous owner had more space. Why don't you do as suggested and put the male in the top part with soil and a bulb he will do fine overwinter there. Add the D3 in the diet.

Old 20-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #20
abelly08
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box girl View Post
Maybe the previous owner had more space. Why don't you do as suggested and put the male in the top part with soil and a bulb he will do fine overwinter there. Add the D3 in the diet.
Ok I will do that