Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 26-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
*Mandy*

Default More Eggs

My female Horsfield has laid another 3 eggs today and I'm getting a bit worried about her now ......

She laid 2 eggs on 26th October, then 14 days later on the 9th November she laid 3 more eggs and now today just 17 days later she has laid another 3 eggs.

I'm fairly sure this isn't normal, all the information I have read says that Horsfields usually lay 2 to 5 eggs twice a year but we've had 8 eggs in just over a month. This must be taking it's toll on her. It would be fantastic to have a baby from her but not at the expense of her health.

Has this happened to anyone else?

They have cuttle fish, a dish of limestone flour and I dust their food with nutrobal 3 times a week and the flour on the other 4 days. Should I be doing anything else? She looked exhausted this evening.

Could this have happened because this is her first time laying eggs and things will settle down now?
Old 27-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

I've had that happen with Horsfields and a few other tortoises. It can be a drain, but as long as your supplying her with plenty of calcium it won't be a problem. She is doing this because she has plenty of fat reserves and food coming in to know that she can expend this kind of energy on this many eggs. Tortoise are designed to be able to do this. In the wild food is not always available on a consistant basis year to year. Some years will be very sparse food wise (with not many if any eggs laid) other years will have an over abundance of food and females will take advantage by laying more eggs. So egg production in the wild can fluctuate from year to year, but over a lifetime averages out to say 5 to 8 a year. So in captivity it's like a good year every year, so females usually lay more eggs.

Danny
Old 27-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
*Mandy*

Thank you very much for the reassurance and the explanation. It's a big relief to know that it does sometimes just happen and that it isn't going to do her any harm.

She has slept a lot today but also eaten quite a bit so hopefully she'll get back to normal soon.

I've put the eggs in the incubator with the others and am now keeping my fingers crossed for a new year hatchling.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
pammy
Incubating

Send a message via AIM to pammy

Hygromitor how do i keep at correct humidity in my incubator thankyou in advance

8 tortises,9 chickens,2 budgies,
lots of fish,jackrussel puppy name bess
pammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
ziggy's owner
Adult

Take and put more water in,

2.0.0 spur thighs
2.3.0 hermanns
2.1.1 marginated
0.0.4 leopard
2.8.0 guinea pigs