Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 22-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #21
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I can keep myself occupied over xmas working out how I can use these lamps in my set-ups. Possibly indoors as well as out. I hadn't thought of using a dimmer stat having wrongly assumed this kind of lamp couldn't be used with one.
Old 22-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #22
Morpheus
Egg

Can I ask please, not to sound stupid, but can a halogen be used for indoor houses? I mean a strip halogen not the floodlight ones mentioned in the previous page.

Like this one
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #23
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Morpheus

I don't know what the heat output of a strip halogen is like, but if it gives out heat then I don't see why not.

The heat output from the halogen lamps is a by product and maybe strips don't give out so much heat as the more bulb-like lamps but I haven't tried one. Let us know how you get on if you decide to use one.
Old 22-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #24
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyTortoise View Post
Exactly like the first one but without the sensor. I get them from B&Q for around £5, although I can't find them on their site now.

Indoors, I use them combined with the Arcadia T5 slimline luminaire, I simply slide the bracket over the luminaire. I will warn you now though, there is one major flaw in this method! The security lamps get hot, real hot. The problem here is that it being so close to the slimline fitting it does heat the slimline fitting up over the recommended usage temperature. I haven't had any failures though and have used this method for well over 6 months.

They're probably about one foot above the tortoise, but the design of these lamps means the footprint is massive. Easily big enough to effectively heat an adult Med. tortoise evenly.

I've just re-read what I've written, not sure I've explained it well so I have taken a photo.
Very interesting Ross. Can I ask what watt you use & what temp this achieves please? ( I am assuming 32-34 @ 12" distance?) Which surprises me - I assumed a lamp like this would cook a tort
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #25
TillyTortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Very interesting Ross. Can I ask what watt you use & what temp this achieves please? ( I am assuming 32-34 @ 12" distance?) Which surprises me - I assumed a lamp like this would cook a tort
120w.. They probably could reach temps of around 60c at 12 inches but I use them with dimming thermostats to control the temperature.
Old 22-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #26
TillyTortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
Can I ask please, not to sound stupid, but can a halogen be used for indoor houses? I mean a strip halogen not the floodlight ones mentioned in the previous page.

Like this one
These are the bulbs that fit into the lamps illustrated in this thread. The lamps I use though take the 78mm bulb, no the 118mm.
Old 23-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #27
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

After looking at a few halogen lamps around the internet, it looks like the actual bulb in the 'strip light unit' Morpheous found is basically the same as that in the outdoor flood lamp. But the effect is very different and the floodlight is directing the light out through the glass on the front.

I'm guessing that in an indoors set-up, Ross's 120 watt halogens are perhaps reduced to half power with the dimming stat if they are mounted at 12". But the result must be far better than a 'normal' 60 watt halogen running flat out, because the footprint of the light and heat is so much larger than something like a 30 degree halogen spot.

I plan to have a go with an 'outdoor' halogen (indoors) at about 18" or more, which would make a bigger footprint of heat with the lamp working a bit harder than it would at 12".

Another thought is to use a stat like the microclimate Prime, which allows the setting of different temperatures through the day and in this case would mean the 'volume' gets turned up for a while in the middle of the day and turned down later on.

Something I can tinker about with over xmas
Old 23-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #28
wigwamman
Juvenile

if you compare a 100watt reflector bulb against a 100/120watt halogen security lamp the difference is quite noticeable,not necessarily warmer as its the same wattage but a much bigger basking area.at about £5-6 each you can't go wrong,especially as the reflector spot bulbs are being fazed out.
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #29
FLINTUS
Juvenile

So would something like these work?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1xEVEREADY...item414eea28ad
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4xENERGY-S...item3f0801b861
I would like to be able to use the halogens that Ross put above but it would be very hard to fix them.
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #30
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Or these?
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/rept...ot-243340.html
Arcadia have always been very good so this might work.
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/rept...amp-26682.html
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote