Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Shelled Warriors Tortoise Archive

Old 10-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
WriterNick
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to WriterNick
Talking Quiz Sunday 11th July

Hi everyone, although new to the forum I have been asked to do this week's quiz - so I hope that it's okay!
As I am getting my first tortoise for my birthday this month, the quiz will be based on July and birthdays with a few tort-related questions thrown in for good measure!

1) What is the birth stone of July? Ruby

2) Who was the month of July named after? Julius Caesar

3) Which great children's author wrote the book 'Esio Trot' about a man who uses a magic tortoise spell to win love? Roald Dahl

4) July sees the World Cup final, who is the manager of finalists Netherlands? Bert Van Marwijk

5) Not strictly a tortoise, but who is this legendary cartoon character? Touche Turtle

6) Who starred in the film 'Born On The 4th Of July'? Tom Cruise

7) Which Greek playwright was supposedly killed when a tortoise dropped onto his head from a great height? Aeschylus

8) When is Bastille Day celebrated in France? 14th July

9) 'The Tortoise And The Hare' was written by Aesop. What was Aesop's profession? Slave but I will accept writer/story teller

10) Kate Bush was born in July. How old was she when her debut single Wuthering Heights topped the charts? 19

11) Lindsey Lohan was both born in July and is going to jail in July - on what date does she have to hand herself in to start her sentence? 20th July

12) In the painting and varnish industry products are often submitted to a 'Tortus test'. Does this measure: a) Drying time b) Toughness c) Slip resitance or d) Colour c - slip resistance

13) What was the great unfinished novel of July born writer Marcel Proust? I had in mind Remembrance Of Things Past also known as In Search Of Lost Time but one very clever answerer got a point for Jean Santeuil, an unfinished novel published posthumously

14) David Hasselhoff was a July baby. In what country was The Hoff born? USA

15) I'm off to Prague next week. This man was born in July in Prague. I don't know if he liked tortoises but he did write about a man who turned into a giant beetle. Who is he? Franz Kafka

16) We mentioned Wuthering Heights earlier, the novel was written by Emily Bronte, born in which city in July 1818? Bradford (Thornton)

17) Gareth Gates is another Yorkshire legend (of sorts), who beat him to the Pop Idol crown? Will Young

18) Norman Cook, aka Fatboy Slim, is a July boy. With which band did he originally find chart success? The Housemartins

19) Cat Stevens is now known as? Yusuf Islam

20) Lonesome George is thought to be the last known member of which species of tortoise? Pinta Island Tortoise but half marks for Galapagos or Giant Tortoise

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY! GET THOSE LITTLE GREY CELLS WORKING!

Last edited by WriterNick; 11-07-2010 at 11:26 PM.
WriterNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
Star
Sub Adult

Looks like a fantastic quiz...I shall definitely have a go when I get in this evening thank you for taking the time to do it.
0.5.0. Playful T.H.H / T.H.B
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
WriterNick
Juvenile

Some good answers already in, ladies and gents, but still plenty of time for somebody to grab the glory in this week's SW quiz! You have until the end of the world cup final to PM me your answers (watching it should give you a clue to one of the answers). Have a go, best of luck!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I didn't realise you were a writer of books ,

that's two on this forum
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
Star
Sub Adult

My answers are in, hopefully they are not tooooOooOOoo embarrassing

Thank you again for a great quiz
0.5.0. Playful T.H.H / T.H.B
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
WriterNick
Juvenile

Your answers are very good Star! As are all the answers so far but we need more entries so come on people, have a go!
Old 11-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

First prize is a DVD of England v Algeria

Second prize is two DVD's of that game
Old 11-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
WriterNick
Juvenile

lol don't let that put you off people - we need more entries and I guarantee there will be no England DVDs for the winner! Alan, if you win I will supply you with a copy of 'Scotlands Greatest Football Triumphs', unfortunately it's black and white and on betamax! Only joking, I can only agree that England were truly abysmal (again)
Old 11-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

get your entries in.. not long to go. end of the world cup final, that could be ET and pens of course. Scotland never had any football triumphs not even in balck and white we did win the Kirin cup a couple of years ago though.. a four team tournament in Japan
Old 11-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
WriterNick
Juvenile

Half an hour left to get any late entries in (maybe a bit longer if it takes penalties for Holland to win) - if you haven't had a go yet guys n gals then take some wild guesses!