Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 20-04-2017, 10:25 PM   #1
Cherry
Egg

Default A problem with identifying

Hello,

First of all please forgive me for any language mistakes. English is not my mother tongue so I might make some mistakes, please let me know in comments below if something is unclear

So few days back I adopted a turtle. The turtle is around 2-3 yrs old, and was living in veeeery bad conditions. No heating lamp, 3 inches of water, pet shop food. I went to the vet with the turtle and what vet said is that there is some sort of infection in the shell (taken samples for bacterial tests). Well. The point is that no-one knows what kind of species is the turtle.

Probably pseudemys - but which one exactly? Maybe so of you can help

Thanks for answers!

PICS:link
Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
Gordon
Adult

Now I'm not a turtle person but it looks like a yellow bellied slider to me.
As for the shell I would say shell rot but not sure if the treatment would be the same as a land tortoise.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #3
Cherry
Egg

It is definitely not a yellow bellied slider. I wrote on few national forums and everyone agreed it is Pseudemys and not Trachemys.
Old 21-04-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
It is definitely not a yellow bellied slider. I wrote on few national forums and everyone agreed it is Pseudemys and not Trachemys.

As I said I don't do turtles and not many people do on this forum I do know someone who I will email for you.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 12:53 PM   #5
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
As I said I don't do turtles and not many people do on this forum I do know someone who I will email for you.
Must confess it looked very Yellow Slider to me but then I don't think they can be traded in any more can they?
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 08:03 AM   #6
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Most certainly not a Slider, but a Cooter - possibly a Pseudemys Nelsoni, as you have mentioned.

For those that don't know their turtles - to be a true Yellow Bellied Slider they have a yellow 'S' on the sides of their head and two black dots at the top of the underside of their shell. Red Eared Sliders (obviously ) have a thick red line on the sides of their head. Those that are, for simplicity, neither one nor the other, are classified as Cumberland Sliders.

Have a look at Austins Turtle Page, a US based reference site. Personally, I would say if the turtle could be put under a basking light where it cannot touch the bulb etc, with a temperature of 30c - 35c those scutes would come away, which is natural, leaving clean, fresh, healthy shell beneath. That said, given the conditions the turtle has been kept in with possibly no water filtration then there could indeed be infection occurring.

The turtle really needs much deeper water, uv, and a good diet plus ideally a safe outdoor pond. The top of the shell looks as though it has never even been in water.

Where are you based?
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #7
Cherry
Egg

@ClareandCo Thank you very much for answer! I live in a mid Europe, if you are asking about that. In couple days I will have a second aquarium as a basking area and there will be around 40cm of water with some branches, 2-3 small fish and one or two water plants. Yeah it may be Nelsonii, thus it never had red marks on a shell.
Old 24-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #8
Cherry
Egg

I live in Central Europe, if you are asking about this