Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Where to Buy and Bargains

Old 16-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #1
newtortoises
Egg

Talking small house

i been looking to get a small cold frame or green house as my tortoise just stay in the sun or sleep under the bush i dont have a big garden so it cant be very big i have not got no more than 50 pounds dose anyone can tell me where they get theirs from please mine would like one too
newtortoises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #2
Suze65
Adult

I think you could make one, very simply and for very little money. The side could be made from bricks stacked up and a simple sheet of perspex ( which would be cheep,) from a DIY store, or four planks of wood nailed together ( a hole for access) and a simple Perspex top. It would do the job of a warming place .

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 10:46 PM   #3
Blueginger1984
Incubating

Hi, tortoises.

I'm not sure if this is the size you need but ths is the one I have for my torts.

http://www.greenfingers.com/product....&pf_id=LS6554D

I just cut a hole in the corner of the coldframe for them to go in.
Old 17-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

good hyperlink.

This cold frame is v good for smaller tortoises (I got mine for £9.99). Easy to lift lid also. And can easily cut a entrance into the sides and or front. It isn't very hygienic bottom but I put paper in. Soil would rot it. The only thing with it I didn't like was it got soooo hot !!! as its small and heats up quick. So I put wood on the top and now its fine.

Make sure they can get in and out very easily though Charlie if you get one because mine did get confused where to come and it does heat up quick. I think it may be a little small for your Horsfields but the bigger double ones (see on right of hyperlink) with no bottom to them are fantastic and are airier but keep the heat. Also allows your two to dig down in dry soil. CI bought a 4ft one for £34.99 double and cut holes in it with scissors). CB
Old 17-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
newtortoises
Egg

i going to get the 1 you found or i found this but i dont think it would be any good

http://www.wilko.com/mini-greenhouse...s/invt/0273087
Old 17-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #6
newtortoises
Egg

http://www.wilko.com/mini-greenhouse...e/invt/0436516

this 1 i like more maybe i cut hole in it
Old 17-06-2016, 02:00 PM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

https://www.primrose.co.uk/cold-fram...tml?src=cbtype

Your first one is brilliant for temporary - I also cut holes in them and they stand up to it. however these shapes collect water on the top and balloon out til they split and little tort gets soaked and then the rain comes in. they go brittle in time too...but are good and cheap. I buy loads from the £1 shop.

Your wooden cloche is excellent. Hard to cut a hole in the sides but could try it with a saw but its the turning angle of the door shape so you would need the right sort of saw. However...! what you can do is sit it on some bricks with a gap in the bricks ! Bingo - less mess and you can move the bricks around to suit where the entrance goes.

I have hyperlinked the lacewing product. They keep for years, are usually on sale - they aren't heavy so you can move them around. theres double ones also for as little as £34. odd and you can cut a hole with scissors or place on bricks with an entrance by leaving a gap in the bricks again.

I prefer plastic to glass as expensive to replace if breaks but I do have one glass mini . Your one looks lovely though too. How exciting ! CB