Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 14-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
From your rational... why would 6 months be a magic number when a disease can be hidden for years?
ok, ok so that is the magic number I use and it came from reading different sources when I first started keeping torts, the main sources being the TT and various other keepers offering advice on this forum.

I personnally still use the 6 months guide, It seems to me a fair amount of time to have a chance to get used to me and to observe the tort in as stress free environment as possible. Yes, the tort could still be harbouring a disease, and it could still get stressed if at a later date it is introduced to another animal, but as far as risks go this is what's worked for me so far.

Last edited by Bindi; 14-08-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Bindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #12
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I would also say that alot depends on how much cast iron info you have on your animal...
Old 14-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #13
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I agree that if you know the person who breeds the tortoises and have a high regard for their husbandry this is a significant factor too. A responsible breeder wouldn't knowingly sell little ones if there could be a problem.
Old 16-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
Steph37
Hatched

Hi Woodenshoes-welcome-to get back to your original question!! Post quarantine you would definitely have to know the sex of the existing one, females together, ok, males to female need a higher ratio, eg 1 male to 3/4 females (from thin air but makes sense!), I have 2 males living successfully together as Hermanns tend to be a gentle nature (in the scheme of tortoises you understand!) but I dont know how usual this is. when mine get too randy I separate but then they don't eat etc-having said that, as a species they dont pine for company-they would forget, say, post hibernation if they were to live separately next year, so I dont think you need to worry about one being lonely.
Having said that, it's always nice to have a little creep of tortoises rather than just one but only if circumstances allow I guess, Good Luck! Steph
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #15
kkenny
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph37 View Post
Hi Woodenshoes-welcome-to get back to your original question!! Post quarantine you would definitely have to know the sex of the existing one, females together, ok, males to female need a higher ratio, eg 1 male to 3/4 females (from thin air but makes sense!), I have 2 males living successfully together as Hermanns tend to be a gentle nature (in the scheme of tortoises you understand!) but I dont know how usual this is. when mine get too randy I separate but then they don't eat etc-having said that, as a species they dont pine for company-they would forget, say, post hibernation if they were to live separately next year, so I dont think you need to worry about one being lonely.
Having said that, it's always nice to have a little creep of tortoises rather than just one but only if circumstances allow I guess, Good Luck! Steph
A very true and pleasent statement. I am getting stressed about introducing my new 2 to my old 1 who I am not confident of the sex of any as they are all young (that's for another thead) but thank you for your and many others precise reply, it helps the beginer mixer alot

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #16
woodenshoes
Egg

Hi everyone,
Thanks very much for your advise, i'm very glad i stumbled across this website. I haven't been on here for a while and only just figured out how to read your posts I haven't yet got a tortoise but i'm turning 24 this coming friday so have begun the search for a young tortoise. I've been looking into it for a while now and have decided to get a baby (and obviously you don't know the sex until there older) So my tortise will be kept seperate from my partners for at least a year. (probably much longer with the way the housing market is going!) If mine turns out to be a female or male then we can look into quarantining and checking for disease before there put together. If they can't be together then we can just keep them in seperate rooms? If anyone knows of any good books about tortoises and keeping them together then please let me know. I haven't yet figured out how to post a picture of my boyfriends tortoise but when i do i'll be sure to share it with you. He's beautiful
Thanks again everyone x
woodenshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #17
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

If you've had your tort for a good while and it's kept on it's own then you can class that as a quarranteen period

If you do get a baby then it may be advisable to keep it separate from your partners anyway because of the size difference, regardless of whether they are male or female - until such a time as they are of a similar size. Alot depends on the size of the enclosure you're going to be housing them in.

I would get the same species and sub-species of tort as your partner's tort so that hopefully they will be more compatible later on when you introduce them.

They should be fine in the same room but in different set-ups

Tags
breeding pair, companion, help me, herman's tortoise