Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 27-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Question mesh cover ideas wanted

I saw Clare's post about using sections of fireguards and that sounds great for what I'd call smaller areas.

The problem I've got is that my pen is too big for that.

I've made some covers with wooden frames and covered them with chicken type wire mesh. That has worked alright though they are a bit heavy to move about. And my carpentry is a bit rubbish.

I need to replace them as the wood is rotting.

Been looking at things like aviary cages, fruit and vegetable cages etc. Haven't found the right thing for me yet.

Over a wider span, a lot of materials will sag so I don't think I can use plastic mesh.

Looking for ideas............
Old 27-05-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
Merlin M
Adult

What about cannibalizing mesh screen doors?
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 12:22 PM   #3
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
I saw Clare's post about using sections of fireguards and that sounds great for what I'd call smaller areas.

I've made some covers with wooden frames and covered them with chicken type wire mesh. That has worked alright though they are a bit heavy to move about. And my carpentry is a bit rubbish.

Been looking at things like aviary cages, fruit and vegetable cages etc. Haven't found the right thing for me yet.

Over a wider span, a lot of materials will sag so I don't think I can use plastic mesh.

Size matters!

You can of course join several together our tortoise covers are more than one. The stakes act as the joins.
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

You know the wire shelfs in these plastic type greehouses , I use those interlaced together on top of the run - it does take some working out but once you have the layout ok they are fine, they are light weight and big square holes to let the light/sun through but remains protective. Even the rusted ones I have painted up in metallic blue paint and they look ok too, CB
Old 27-05-2017, 01:24 PM   #5
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post

I think for ease of use, fruit frame ideas are better. As you can walk in them, and you dont have to move things too much to get in them.
Or polythene tunnels.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 01:37 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

What about an old metal pergoda frame ( this one is B&Q less than £20.00 picky was at beginning of waking up time, I use the canvass for the piggy runs for shade ) and I tied lumisol to it with string ! yah ! very heath robinson but in essence you could throw anything over the top fruit mesh etc and I have mine on low for the torts so I do bend to go under but that's ok for me - added bonus on lumisol is off course torts still get UV but frame has lasted years (have an old tent frame also for another area and same concept).

by the way the frame wasn't square and I thought the cover I cut out to fit wouldn't work but it didn't matter at all because the string keeps it all in place.

Old 27-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I know the wire mesh ones on a wooden frame are quite heavy but I found that they do not shift even when we had the 95mph gale a few years back. I made them double the width of the mesh which was the green garden stuff and joined it together with green garden wire then fixed to the frame with small fencing type staples. I supported the weight of each section in the middle with a short post hammered into the ground.

Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #8
burnt toast
Adult

I too read that poor Horsfield thread with horror. I am a bit dopey as I have magpies nearby again. Most of my torts are big (very big,) but I have some small Herman Hercs & some other small males. To be honest I just provide hides, shrubs, old branches & have a few flag type & metal things on sticks that I hope would deter birds. I have a wooden frame with mesh over some but not all of herc area due to size.

What about an old greenhouse frame? I know someone who has a shed with greenhouse attached no glass just wire as she has 2 very eager Jack Russels! The greeenhouse is large & decorated with hides, rocks , & planted. Its also good as you can stand up in it. You can pick up just frames quite cheaply on ebay etc

I have also seen small scarecrows in the cheap shops recently!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 07:26 PM   #9
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Thanks everyone - so many great ideas in next to no time!

I'll let you know...
Old 28-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

I think Alans idea is good as you don't really need the height for them - they look good too and probably nice and sheltered in that area.
Never thought of that Lynn either...I actually don't like the glass in the greenhouse because the girls are so strong as a group they have pushed through on occasion and I always replace with plastic now days but a cheap frame, maybe off ebay sounds good - you could even bespoke decorate it (girlie thing I know !), good luck Jonathan you will have to let us know how it goes, CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
I too read that poor Horsfield thread with horror. I am a bit dopey as I have magpies nearby again. Most of my torts are big (very big,) but I have some small Herman Hercs & some other small males. To be honest I just provide hides, shrubs, old branches & have a few flag type & metal things on sticks that I hope would deter birds. I have a wooden frame with mesh over some but not all of herc area due to size.

What about an old greenhouse frame? I know someone who has a shed with greenhouse attached no glass just wire as she has 2 very eager Jack Russels! The greeenhouse is large & decorated with hides, rocks , & planted. Its also good as you can stand up in it. You can pick up just frames quite cheaply on ebay etc

I have also seen small scarecrows in the cheap shops recently!