Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Caresheets/Links/Books

Old 13-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
BNZ
Egg

Question Beginner Research - Care required?

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to do some research before purchasing a pet tortoise. I live in London and have a decent amount of outdoor space for the summer months, however I am planning on a predominantly indoor living space. I intend to build a custom enclosure roughly 150cm x 40cm.

While there is a significant amount of information on the internet on enclosure building/accessories, climate, diet etc I am unclear as to what kind of pet we are really getting here. I have not done much research on species yet, but obviously something that does not grow too big (not to say that that enclosure could not be made bigger in the future). I really want to know what kind of interaction I can expect to have with this animal?

How much time can the tortoise safely spend out of its enclosure (if any), e.g in a larger temporary play pen type enclosure in the living room? How long can a tortoise be left alone (presuming light/heat on timers and food/water supplies)? Can you comfortably leave it for a weekend? 3, 4, 5 days??? I know I would never leave a cat/dog like this but I know nothing about these animals yet. Can you leave extra food or will it just overeat on the first day?

Please feel free to point me towards any discussions on this forum that you think may be of use to me. I have done some searching and browsing but still feel unclear on the above questions.

Thanks,
Brendan
BNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
sky
Adult

Hi Brendan, and welcome to the forum.
You really need to decide on the species you want to keep first, some hibernate some don't?
Have a good look round on the forum and ask as many question you like I am sure you will find a tortoise to suit you and you family. Good luck.
1 grumpy husband
sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
BNZ
Egg

Thanks Sky,

It looks like the most sensible option is a Horsfield's due to size and adaptability - unless someone can point me towards a better beginner species. Roughly how long do they take to reach adult size? Do they have to hibernate every year, or can this be skipped/avoided all together? Also, is it ok to have 2 tortoises share an enclosure (of the same species)?

Brendan
Old 14-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
swad1000
Adult

Horsfields, hermans and certain sub species of the spur thighs all have very similar housing requirements and reach similar sizes.

Depends on your point of view on hibernation, personally any healthy tortoise that normally hibernates should do in my opinion, but others will disagree, its something you have to decide as what is the best for your tortoise.

Yes you can house two tortoises together, but you just need to be aware there may be some reasons why you would need to separate them, either on a temporary basis or possibly permanently.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
BNZ
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by swad1000 View Post
Horsfields, hermans and certain sub species of the spur thighs all have very similar housing requirements and reach similar sizes.

Depends on your point of view on hibernation, personally any healthy tortoise that normally hibernates should do in my opinion, but others will disagree, its something you have to decide as what is the best for your tortoise.

Yes you can house two tortoises together, but you just need to be aware there may be some reasons why you would need to separate them, either on a temporary basis or possibly permanently.
Thanks for that. I guess getting a tortoise in the spring would be good then as it gives me the summer to get comfortable with it and research hibernation. Are there any of those species that do no hibernate?
Old 19-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
BNZ
Egg

OK we have built our tortoise enclosure now and want to kit it out so we can get a tortoise soon. I have attached a few photos. The trays are currently fill with building supplies, but will be fill with substrate. There is a lid over the enclosed end that is not shown here. I also intend to fill the gap between the trays with tile as a basking area.

I would appreciate some assistance in purchasing suitable lighting/heat and substrate for both the bedding area and a soil substrate for the trays.

I currently have the following items in my shopping list (I chose Kimbos world as they stock MegaRay and that appears to be a good brand for UV/Heat all in one lamps??)

Light/Heat:
http://www.kimbosreptileworld.co.uk/...ted-p-145.html

Lamp Fixture:
http://www.kimbosreptileworld.co.uk/...ome-p-133.html

Lamp Stand:
http://www.kimbosreptileworld.co.uk/...and-p-135.html

Thermometer:
http://www.kimbosreptileworld.co.uk/...eter-p-31.html

Pool:
http://www.kimbosreptileworld.co.uk/...mall-p-33.html

Bedding Substrate:
http://www.kimbosreptileworld.co.uk/...5lt-p-189.html

Water Softener:
http://www.kimbosreptileworld.co.uk/...8ml-p-229.html

I am not sure where to get suitable sand/soil?? Any ideas?

Thanks Heaps!

Old 20-01-2010, 01:15 AM   #7
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

It all looks good to me

You can try B&Q for the sand and topsoil. You can even just go with the topsoil alone. If you want to go with sand, try to keep it around 20% of the substrate.

Danny
Old 20-01-2010, 07:38 AM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

B&Q or Homebase for topsoil. it will be very wet at the moment, I just got some from Homebase and it is soaking wet, the wet somehow manages to get inside plastic bags.

I would research a bit more on your bulbs before buying, there have been a lot with problems
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #9
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Hi and welcome to Shelled Warriors. . There are lots of ideas on the indoor/outdoor section on here and you are very welcome to come along to any of our meetings as we cover London and meet in the London Borough of Bromley. Our next meeting is looking at ideas of how to set up indoor and outdoor housing etc
Old 20-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #10
BNZ
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
B&Q or Homebase for topsoil. it will be very wet at the moment, I just got some from Homebase and it is soaking wet, the wet somehow manages to get inside plastic bags.

I would research a bit more on your bulbs before buying, there have been a lot with problems
From what I have read they all have issues, but looks like Megaray is this most reliable. Any thoughts on stand/light guard?

I am also not sure what other items I will need that Kimbos does not have availble? Calcium sticks and a Timer are the two obvious items. Anything else?

Last edited by BNZ; 20-01-2010 at 10:00 PM.