Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 18-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #11
Lou
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Lou

so sorry Linds... but like previous have said.. don't give up... its nothing you've done... xxx

Horsfield: 1.0.2 Walter / Izzy / Tilly
Redfoot : 1.3.0 Ruby / Scarlet / Merlot / Ginger
Goldfish : 0:0:1 Splodge
Bearded Dragon : 0:1:0 Zuki
Springer Spaniel : 1:0:0 Bailey
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #12
swad1000
Adult

Hi Linds I'm probably one of the more outspoken of the group when it comes to animal care.

There is a big big difference between an accident, and not being fit to look after animals.

You can't watch them 24/7 I'm sure every keeper here has found there tortoises flipped upside down in there enclosures at some point, 99.9% of the time we turn them right side up and they are just fine, unfortunately this was one of those times it wasn't, but it truly wasn't your fault.

It would be a shame for you to give up the rest of your tortoises, from what is obviously loving home.

Try not to blame your self, I'm sure you will be lavishing even more love and attention of the rest of your tortoises.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #13
alotoffluff
Adult

Location: greenwich, london, previously born and brought up in Kent!

Linds, its breaking my heart to hear you talk about giving up your torts. Hun, these things happen and it wasn't your fault!!!!
Please, please, dont blame yourself, you are such a lovely person and have just taken in that poor ebay tortie who needs you right now.
Its a very sad time for you, but these things happen in the wild, and it couldn't be helped!
Thinking of you
alotoffluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #14
Pretty Penguin
Incubating

Linds, this was purely an accident. Please, please don't blame yourself.

It is the same with whatever animals one keeps - it is utterly impossible to watch over them 24/7. There will always, always be accidents. It is a very sad fact, but also a very true one. Animals will, one way or another, break hearts but they also give a great deal of joy. The one is a trade-off for the other.

I can understand you wanting to give up and rehome your other tortoises, it is an instinctive reaction. Please, wait for the rawness of emotion to pass and then you will feel able to reconsider.

You are only young! If only there were more up and coming keepers like yourself, then many more tortoises would have a happier future.

As others have said, there is a world of difference between an accident through no fault of ones own, and being an unfit person to have the care and responsibility of a pet.

I'm so sorry that this has happened to you but please, grieve for your loss and then move on - if you give up, the tortoise world will have lost a very caring, giving keeper.

Anna.

Pretty Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #15
Zen
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Linds, a big hug coming your way. Please dont blame yourself, as everyone else has said accidents do happen and this isnt your fault.
Chin up honey xxxxx

Rachael & Zen (THB)
'Show gratitude to every living thing'
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #16
sandy
Adult

Linda dont beat yourself up, I am sure Darren will tell you the same thing. Hatchling and the first few years, have the highest rate of death in small tortoises. This is not to do with how they were bred, or how they are kept. Its one of those things. I have had the same thing happen to me, but outside. At the beginning of the year I had two of last years hatchlings outside in their coldframe. They were ok in the morning eating etc. By the afternoon one had died. This was my first ever second generation tortoise. So I know how devistated you feel.
I can understand you leaving here until after Christmas, please keep reading even if you dont post.
You have to put this down to experience, most long term keepers have had the same happen to them at one time or another.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #17
Hazel
Juvenile

Oh Linds, I am so sorry to hear what happened

Please don't blame yourself, it is certainly not your fault the tort died.

Will be thinking of you xxx
Old 18-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #18
lindso3000
Adult

Send a message via MSN to lindso3000

Thanks everyone for your kind words
somehow im going to have to go to work and put a brave face on it all
feel absolutely awful
not sure what to do with the rest of my torts. Il be on here after christmas, cant bear even thinking about it all at the moment
thanks everyone
Lindsey
lindso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #19
Beverley
Adult

I totally agree with everyone here, its not your fault at all, unfortunately sometimes these things happen and its horrible.
A while ago I wanted to give up tort keeping myself after a bad spell, but thankfully I did'nt, remember the rest of your tortoises need you just as much as they ever did and you are a good keeper so don't give up, please.
Old 18-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #20
terrypin
Adult

hi im sorry to hear of you having to go through this so early in your tortoise keeping life .as has been said by others this sort of thing sadly can happen so please dont blame yourself .i for one would be more than happy to see my hatchlings going to loving homes like yours.whatever you do dont give up because of this unfortunate accident.
terry