Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 16-01-2007, 03:58 PM   #51
Fallen Angel
Sub Adult

Thank you Dan a long awaited but informative reply

Nicky
Old 16-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #52
wizzasmum

Could anyone recommend a Leopard Breeder in the UK - I would apprecite it if anyone could PM with the details as I am concious that these breeders would not like to be bothered by time wasters. We wondered where you guys had your leopards from originally??

Why not get a rehomer. There are many leopards waiting for homes in UK after people ralise how big they grow. So far there seems to be no call for leopard breeders in UK. I for one will not incubate eggs from mine.
Sue
Old 16-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #53
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Sue, like you say rehoming these tortoises would be the way to go as many are unwnted animals which were more than likely ex pet shop torts sold to unsuspecting buyers who wernt told how big they will grow.

Rehoming is a delicate subject tho as these tortoises are very unsettled by change of home as is well known.

You at least are taking the responsible role of not incubating eggs unlike the person where a lot of people here have got from.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 10:39 PM   #54
wizzasmum

To be honest Ade I never had a problem. I must have been lucky to have three without a hitch. I was told that a vet had said the little one would not live long but although smaller than the others he is doing fine. I never saw anything more irresponsible than incubating all those eggs with no homes to go to Did they all survive do you know? I had advised the owner at the time not to do it as he would be stuck with them. Next I heard he was struggling to get rid of them and not keeping them well either, poor little things.
Old 16-01-2007, 10:56 PM   #55
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Last I heard sue is that he is giving them away to anyone who will take them. From what I have been told they are kept in a bathroom, obviously not a good place for them. I doubt many survive very long in these conditions. I wonder why he can't just seperate sexes, stop incubating eggs and put them into proper conditions. It will remain a mystery to me at least.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 11:14 PM   #56
wizzasmum

Wonder if they make good omelettes? Seriously the guy is bonkers doing this for the hell of it
Old 17-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #57
Glitter

Guys....

I have recently spoken to the person you are talking about - I dont think this is the place to publically slate him.

He does not have any babies left and has no eggs either and he told me that he wont have any eggs in the forseeable future either.

Pete - your comment - 'he is giving them away to anyone who will take them' is not factually correct - I am one of those people who had two hatchling Leopards from him, so is Veebee, so is Carl19, and we all made donations to a charity - at the request of the person who we had the tortoises from. Just because he didn't charge for them does not mean he didn't care who they were going too.... infact it took weeks of me trying to get to see them before I got a viewing.

Yes the torts were kept in a bathroom - however this bathroom was not in use and had been left purely as a tortoise room. In your post you make it sound as though the guy was showering, using the toilet etc in the same room as the tortoises. Pete you say 'you doubt many survive in these conditions' - what conditions are you talking about??? There was no humidity in the room, it was warm, had a UV lamp, heat lamps etc..???? Yes the fact that they were not given weeds to eat has serious implications but the actual 'conditions' were not as bad as the picture you are painting.

I agree that it is silly that people breed for no reason - however this person has stopped. Please don't say things without having the facts / personal knowledge or experience to back them up.

Deb & Steve
Old 17-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #58
piglet
Adult

Debs I agree with you here ,
please refrain from puplic humilation Peter as you don't no this guy and are only going on here say(gossip) you seemed to be quite keen to take baby hermans of me this coming season even though i don't have home's planned for them does this also make me iressponsible .

Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #59
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Darren, you could never be accused of being irrespossible, I remember your predicamant last year whether to incubate or not.

People I think we are all getting a little warm under the coller recently, with so many poorly tortoises and bad people out there. And there is an undercurrent of indiviuals complaining about such people selling tortoises and then the forum getting nasty emails off these people being talked about.

Please can we excercise a little bit of restraint and think about what we have written before pressing the submit button.

Don't forget either that this forum was set up to help people with their tortoises in a freindly manner.

I hope I have not caused any offence in writting this but I think something had to be said before things get out of control.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #60
Glitter

I want to apologise if anyone feels that I was out of order with my comment on this thread.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with that particular breeders methods or husbandry, what I do disagree with is hearsay and rumour used to cast a cloud over another person.

I appreciate that everyone has an opinion but I belive that opinions should be backed up with personal knowledge so that the reader hears it first hand and not second, third etc..

Again, please accept my apologies if my comments offended anyone - both myself and Steve love this forum. We have both learnt so much from its members and the reason we joined it was the LACK of bickering (like some other sites we all know!!)

Let us all get back to the common aim of helping those with tortoises (regardless of where they come from).

Thanks,
Deb & Steve