Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 23-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #11
Faye
Incubating

I sure hope it will be ok.. I want the best for my little bubba!!

RIP Baby xxxx
Faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #12
Star
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
Common sense comes into it too as it depends if the food is leafy or or not or more watery or not etc. For e.g. you wouldn't give an amount of opuntia cactus or butternut squash the size of their shell whereas you would if it was a plant leaf
Definitely agree Alan, common sense and a better understanding of the nutritional value of what your offering, is essential
0.5.0. Playful T.H.H / T.H.B
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #13
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

When indoors, i like to feed the same amount mentioned, but split it to, one in the morning, and one afternoon feed, because they can not forage. If you know what i meen.
Paul
Old 23-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #14
Gaelle
Incubating

I can't help finding it a bit confusing. Restricting a herbivore, while it's still growing?? It just sounds a bit unnatural to me. If they are opportunistic feeders, that forage all day for food in between naps, I can't help feeling that restricting their food intake to one meal and not let them decide when they're full etc... is a little bit in contradiction with their "natural" way of life? I know every body's advising to restrict food intake, but it still bothers me somehow. Nevertheless, I will trust the experienced!!
You would just assume that they would be able to self-regulate the quantity they should eat. And like all individuals, I bet some need more food than others, some grow bigger and faster than others, just like any other animals and humans!? I was thinking of leaving trays of weeds and flowers around the table and letting the torties decide what, when and how much for themselves? It just sounds more natural... What do you think?
Gaelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #15
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelle View Post
I can't help finding it a bit confusing. Restricting a herbivore, while it's still growing?? It just sounds a bit unnatural to me. If they are opportunistic feeders, that forage all day for food in between naps, I can't help feeling that restricting their food intake to one meal and not let them decide when they're full etc... is a little bit in contradiction with their "natural" way of life? I know every body's advising to restrict food intake, but it still bothers me somehow. Nevertheless, I will trust the experienced!!
You would just assume that they would be able to self-regulate the quantity they should eat. And like all individuals, I bet some need more food than others, some grow bigger and faster than others, just like any other animals and humans!? I was thinking of leaving trays of weeds and flowers around the table and letting the torties decide what, when and how much for themselves? It just sounds more natural... What do you think?
I think the same.. and I also just go by what the experienced keepers do because.. eh.. just because
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 06:56 PM   #16
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

would they not just eat and eat and get no excercise though if given too much?
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #17
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

My Hermaan's torts behave a little different in a table, they get stable good temps, it is summer everyday, so they eat and eat, if i let them, not burning much off, i think this is why they are monitored in the diet, a little one may use your method quite well, my three would trash it in a one day. Some keepers tend to leave a day out, no food, it is there way to try and recreate the wild enviroment, some ultra dry months in the med, lean pickings, which is the balance, i suppose. I agree with some need more than others. The advice to new tort owners, of enough to cover the shell, is a good starting point, the next step is knowing your tortoise's needs, but it is so easy to overfeed in tables, specially ones you can see them all the time, or have to pass by
Paul
Old 23-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #18
Gaelle
Incubating

Oh thanks, that actually makes a lot of sense. The table situation is not natural, so you can't feed them in a "natural" way, right?
Thanks for the explanation!
Gaelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #19
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Yes thats the way I see it. When they are indoors they are always warm and there just isn't a lot else to do apart from eat if food appears. Having said that I've never had any of my tortoises gain weight too quickly or too much. Feeding low protein foods that are high in fibre probably helps. It is correct though that the metabolism of the tortoise indoors will usually be running quick because of the warmth, and this alone causes them to burn calories even though there isn't a great deal of walking about going on.
Old 23-09-2009, 10:40 PM   #20
Star
Sub Adult

Mine are all outdoors, 24/7 so I know that they will forage, as they have the available space to gather from the plants available to them. This ensures they exercise well, also foraging is important in keeping them active and interested in what’s around them...many times as they set of for food, they then spot a new addition to the table and investigate, they are very aware of when you move things, Mine will then spend some time wondering around the new sections, investigating, keeping them active.

I do however offer additional weeds, the enclosure its self couldn’t house all the varieties of weeds I offer, so I gather a large variety and throw this in, they then have to go search for it. I also, do have days where I do not offer added weeds, and they search out the food for themselves.

In the wild, tortoises would not come into contact (it is alleged) with as much food, in one sitting, as we offer them.
Additionally, they would do much more walking than that which they do in enclosures. So it seems that as the result of these, tortoises are prone to differing developments.
0.5.0. Playful T.H.H / T.H.B
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Star is offline   Reply With Quote