Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 30-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
Robbiec
Egg

Red face Hello All

Hello All,

My partner and I are soon to be moving into our own home (first time home owners) and are looking to welcome a Tortoise into our home too.

We consider we have an ideal environment for him or her giving them the freedom of a large kitchen whilst we are at work as well as large fully fenced off back garden for warmer 'adventure' days.

We are both huge animal lovers and have given lots of thought in the past year we have been renting to our first pet and decided a Tortoise would be perfect for us. Hopefully we for the Torte as well!

I have conducted thorough research across all breeds of Tortoise (all animals to be honest) and have concluded that we would love to care for a Red Footed Tortie.

We will be looking to bring one into our home the end of next month (August), so I thought it sensible to join a community such as this and introduce myself.

All advise is welcome and I always bow down to superior knowledge. This forum and other sites are extremely useful (albeit some of sites contradict one another as with all animal research/opinions).

Anyway, thank you for having me.

Robbie in Nottingham
Robbiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
Daryn
Hatchling

Hi Robbie and welcome to the forum, I have no experience what so ever with Red Footed Tortie so not going to even try and give advice lol but Im sure one of the other experienced keepers will.

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #3
Robbiec
Egg

Hi Daryn,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have spotted some threads which indicate you know your stuff and are a keen tortie housing builder?

So I'm sure you have hordes more knowledge and experience than me anyway even in this capacity!

Thanks again and look forward to future communication with you!

Robbie.
Robbiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 04:46 PM   #4
Stellanne
Hatchling

Hi Robbie, welcome to the forum. I too have no experience with Red Footed tortoises but I am sure someone will be able to help you x x x enjoy the forum x x hugs x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #5
Gordon
Adult

Hello and welcome.
As for a red foot tort they do get quite big and need a good humidity level also a nice tray of water to soak in so not sure if letting it wander around in the kitchen will give it that. Also you will come home to a right old mess and tort poo smeared everywhere and the smell will not be nice.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

welcome Robbie - pickys of them are a must with kitchen poop et all ! I have no idea about Reddies other than they look lovely but would poop everywhere even in a kitchen. CB
Old 30-07-2015, 06:42 PM   #7
emma_mcraf
Adult

Welcome to the forum. I agree with Gordon's advice. I believe you'd probably need a nice large viv for a redfoot to keep humidity levels up. Having a tort loose in the kitchen sounds like a recipe for disaster but having said that, I do know of others who allow free rein to their torts indoors. I'm not one of them.
I'm sure you've been busy researching so good luck and please introduce us to your tort once you have it.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
vikki
Hatched

Hello
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #9
Gordon
Adult

I have had the odd one indoors before and when they poo it stinks.
I won't go into the threats my other half made about not doing it again but I'm certain if she had carried them out I would not of fathered my two daughters
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #10
Wyannis
Hatchling

Hi Robbie and welcome to the forum. I'm not sure how practical it would be having a tort roaming the kitchen all day but maybe it would be possible for you to section off an area of the kitchen for him? Then you could let him out for a wander when you are home and he would still be able to dig and bask in his area when you are out.
Wyannis is offline   Reply With Quote