Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
tizzydoodles
Incubating

Default Male hermanns

I have two males living together (only found out smaller one was male for sure yesterday thanks to everyone on here) both approx the same age but one almost twice the size of the other, its the smaller one that is causing a few problems and will not leave florence (bigger one) alone, florence has never shown any signs of aggression or tried to mate the other males.

Guessing they may be a bit like people and mature at different ages. I am absolutley gutted they are both male as I bought them from somebody on shelled warriors as females. Really attached to both of them and really do not have the space for another set up!
tizzydoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

Aw thats sad. Could you possibly split their table or add another layer? The only other thing I can think of is lots of sightbreakers.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

My husband added a mezzanine level to an existing table to give Theo more room. If you make it large enough, it could possibly act as another layer.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Like Burno has said, is there any way you can split the table by maybe putting a divider down the middle and hanging your lamp between the two? You'll probably find that in the spring when you can get them outside and give them a bit more space they'll be better
Old 05-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
tizzydoodles
Incubating

Will give it a go, Thank you guys, They will be fine in the summer as I have a big outside enclosure for them to live in, son is hassling now for me to get some females waaaaaahhhhh,
Old 05-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
JoesMum
Hatchling

The med males are quite aggressive as you have noticed; females can be bothered to the point of them getting ill and giving up. Tell your son that it's best for their health that you don't get females
Old 05-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzydoodles View Post
Will give it a go, Thank you guys, They will be fine in the summer as I have a big outside enclosure for them to live in, son is hassling now for me to get some females waaaaaahhhhh,
Easier said than done (getting the females I mean!) ...and the trouble is ideally you need at least 3 females to one male
Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
tizzydoodles
Incubating

ok going to be either extension or converting the conservatory into tortie house (see how kids feel about selling the pool table in conservatory me thinks)