Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 12-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #1
burnt toast
Adult

Default Edibles that don't mind being wet?!

I have part of an enclosure which regularly floods. Despite lots of prep:digging down 8 inches and putting gravel. Sand.soil

Anyway it regularly floods. Then a friend suggested I make a water area in the middle. So I'm thinking of a shallow "water area" in. Middle but also want to plant up, prefwithedibles, any ideas please?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
Gordon
Adult

Can you not make it into a raised area and lift the whole thing up? Maybe use a sleeper around the edges infill with old rocks and gravel almost up to the top then maybe cover it with chicken mesh wire and then build your pen over the top of the whole thing. I know it's a lot of work and cost but it would then be done.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

ooh I don't know what plants like to have roots in water and can be eaten by torts, I will leave that to other experts. I had similar and raised slatted floors worked an absolute treat ! ie you can get them at the bottom of a guinea pig outdoor house. or make them with pieces of wood with a gap between the slats across two parallels. (make the parallels quite deep). The weeds grown up between the slats too and mine eat off them and sleep on them as it warms in the sunshine. looks good too like tortoises decking almost.
Old 13-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #4
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Can you not make it into a raised area and lift the whole thing up? Maybe use a sleeper around the edges infill with old rocks and gravel almost up to the top then maybe cover it with chicken mesh wire and then build your pen over the top of the whole thing. I know it's a lot of work and cost but it would then be done.
Thanks Gordon, its a bit of a funny one. 3 areas of equal size 2 of which are now used by just one group with a walkway between. Don't know how I would get on "building it up" for a couple of reasons: the sides are made from wood, might it rot them? (Could imagine him indoors face!☺

And this sounds really bad but I'm shattered out. I have made 2 housing areas since Xmas, as well as having I'll parents several part time jobs and just a few torts !wink:
Just at this moment I'm happy with as little effort as I can get away with!
Old 13-07-2016, 04:04 PM   #5
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
ooh I don't know what plants like to have roots in water and can be eaten by torts, I will leave that to other experts. I had similar and raised slatted floors worked an absolute treat ! ie you can get them at the bottom of a guinea pig outdoor house. or make them with pieces of wood with a gap between the slats across two parallels. (make the parallels quite deep). The weeds grown up between the slats too and mine eat off them and sleep on them as it warms in the sunshine. looks good too like tortoises decking almost.
Tell me more please Claire☺ Do you have any pictures? (Sorry I'm being very dim). Do you mean like pallets? They do decking tiles in home bargains (I love them! Used loads in one of my housing projects lately). Any pictures of yours please Claire?

Thanks for helping, both..much appreciated ☺
Old 13-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

Ha ! No I didn't have photographs and just gone out in the pouring rain. First picky to show how much rain !

second picky as the rainbow came out - this is a step using decking boards, can make as wide as you like with the supports underneath

And this is what I mean by slats. I couldn't get to bottom of garden in time before downpour sorry as have some placed together ! My spur loves to hang over on these ones. So popular I put them inside too. and or decking.

Old 13-07-2016, 10:46 PM   #7
burnt toast
Adult

Hi Claire, thanks so much for braving the weather. Right Amazonian storm!!
I shall have to sit down and have a good think! Think this is a project for the six weeks hols!☺