Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 04-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
leggy
Sub Adult

Default Pet Ducks and RSPCA

Next door got ducks last summer. They have been housing them in a small dog kennel with no propper bedding. They have a small run made from that orang stuff builders use to corden of a site. They have a small paddling pool that is never cleand out and stinks and are feeding scraps. the last time i seen them with food they had prawn crackers. The ducks are skinny wet and coverd in mud Yesterday my hubby passed the garden and and seen them just sat in the snow looking listless with no food and the pool frozen with a small patch of brown sludge in the middle. I have called the rspca again and my hubby has called Enviramentle health. I dont know if i can call anyone els. I have no idea how to look after ducks what 3 big ducks should live in and eat and so on but this seems so wrong Why on earth they keep them i dont know as the block said ages ago they dont wont them its only the 12 year old that wont let them go and yet he said she wont even go out and see them She has always been spoilt and has never been told no but to let the ducks suffer and maybe die like that just so they dont upset her is sick So if the RSPCA dont come out any ideas on what i can do without them knowing its me as i dont wont to lose my windows

leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

catch them and take them down the river! we're reared orphaned wild Mallards before and they are the messiest creatures around, their water needs changing everyday although I do beleive they can get buy with just drinking water rather than a pond, we used to give our chick crumbs then later corn and either mash or pellets I don't think theres a proper duck food. However hard you try they do make a mess and turn anything near into mud and if you did use bedding it would have to be cleaned out most days our had a childs paddling pool and used to love it but it got so dirty the ducks don't seem to mind and they ruined the grass around where they were. If you feed them or help then if the RSPCA does come around they won't see the ducks at their worst which is what they have to do if they can do anything so personally I just keep phoning them but not actually step in and help, maybe the RSPCA could see them from your garden first perhaps if you suggest that they might do something.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
beckyzazou
Hatched

Poor things, the ducks that live wild around the ponds near us look so clean and happy. Surely it is against the law not too feed an animal and provide clean water. Keep on at the RSPCA, mither, mither and more mither, hopefully they will then come out as a matter of urgency.
Maybe you could suggest that they are handed over to a local park, open farm. There is a lovely open farm near us that really does care for the animals. They would be much better off somewhere like that.
beckyzazou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
juju
Incubating

Harass the RSPCA!!!!!!! Throw some food over the garden for them... table scraps, porridge (cooked), boiled up veg peelings etc.

Ducks should have pelleted mash as a staple diet , supplemented with fresh vegetable trimmings, chopped hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes, cracked corn, garden snails worms, night crawlers, bloodworms... floating coy food occasionally. Basically anything that you can give them let them eat.

Is it possible to speak to your neighbour?
Glad you have phoned E/health but they will not do anything except visit and give the people a notice to inmprove the conditions. As others have said, i would make the ducks 'fly away' on their own.. is there any animal rescues in your area... they may come out and knock the door and ask them to be handed over

good luck
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

Ahhhh that is awful, I had ducks years ago and the water needs to be cleaned out regularly. I used to buy pellets for mine from a farm, but I would also give then mashed up potatoes and veggies. I also dug the garden for them every other day and they would be there eating the worms They do make a mess, but are generally quite easy to look after. I had a shed filled with hay, and I would clean it out every morning. The one of mine did not like the water, but the other used to dive in. They might not be able to fly if they are caked in mud and also they might have had their wings clipped. Keep on to the RSPCA, but if you cooked mashed peelings they would love it.
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
leggy
Sub Adult

We have spoken to next door and even got a farm willing to take them but they wont budge as the kid said no To them they are just ducks.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

I would keep on to the rspca and hopefully they will take them off them. Also see if you can get some of the other nieghbours to have a word.
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
purplelinda

tell the RSPCA there are tv cameras there, and they will be up like a shot!!!, otherwise i doubt they will do anything,
on a serious note, your quickest course of action is to pay someone to nick them, then hand them over to the farm, ok its not the correct morale thing to do, steal, but it happens all the time as its the quickest way to get a poor dog/cat away from bad owners, many rescue centres employ this method
Old 04-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
leggy
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplelinda View Post
tell the RSPCA there are tv cameras there, and they will be up like a shot!!!, otherwise i doubt they will do anything,
on a serious note, your quickest course of action is to pay someone to nick them, then hand them over to the farm, ok its not the correct morale thing to do, steal, but it happens all the time as its the quickest way to get a poor dog/cat away from bad owners, many rescue centres employ this method
Think i might just do that if it comes to it

Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
Sylvia1
Adult

Whilst ducks don't necessarily NEED water to swim in, they certainly need fresh water to preen and keep their feathers in good condition. Personally, I would have a word with your local animal/wildlife rescue centre and explain that you have contacted the RSPCA. Tell them you are still very concerned about the ducks' welfare and ask if someone could come and look at them from your house to see what they think. It might be worth trying?

3 hermanns, 2 leopards, 2 german shepherds, 5 cats, 3 tropical tanks
Sylvia1 is offline   Reply With Quote