Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Ask The Experts > Identification/Sexing.

Old 21-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #1
newtortoises
Egg

Default male or female

these are my 2 tortoise i used to have one but i went back to the lady to get her friend they had bad start to life I would like to keep them but my mum says i cant keep both if they both boys but at least i saved them both are 15 or 16 years old
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
newtortoises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
Gordon
Adult

I'm afraid you can't keep them both as both males.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 04:17 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtortoises View Post
these are my 2 tortoise i used to have one but i went back to the lady to get her friend they had bad start to life I would like to keep them but my mum says i cant keep both if they both boys but at least i saved them both are 15 or 16 years old
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

If you had a really large enclosure, with lots of objects so they cant easily see each other, you might have a chance of keeping them togetehr.
But male horsfields are notorious for fighting.
This is because, one has to be alpha male, so will fight to dominate the other. If you can cope with the fighting until they sort it, and dont get any females, then you might be able to keep them together. Any females around and there is nil chance of keeping them without fighting.
How long have they been together?
How big is their enclosure?
Pictures of your setup will help us to help you:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 04:19 PM   #4
sandy
Adult

Forgot to say, the substrate you are using is the worst you can get for horsfields. They need a substrate they can dig down into, as they create tunnels in soil, which is natural for them.

Old 21-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #5
Gordon
Adult

If they have been together all there lives there is a slim chance they might get on but if not don't try it as they will fight and they will do each other a lot of harm I have seen them take all the scales off each others legs and draw blood.
Also get rid of the straw pellets they are on.
Old 21-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #6
newtortoises
Egg

The lady was nice so why did she lie to me?
She had them from a lady who kept them together in a 2ft vivarium for all their lives
then when she had them she got a double 2ft tortoise table and she separated them because she said they had eggs and they died ?
We had soil but the unit broke because of the weight of it so i had to empty it till we get a strong unit they are in a 4ft by 2ft tortoise table now the lights a uv and heat all in one
will post photos tomorrow
mum and i gave them a bath and we see dried blood on his neck also the bigger tortoise had some scales missing like he had a fight a while ago
feeling upset now My sister said she would take one of the tortoise if they hurt each other

sorry about my spelling
newtortoises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 08:52 PM   #7
sandy
Adult

sounds like the lady just wanted rid of the tortoises:0(
As they are both male, then no chance of eggs.
And they will fight in such smaller enclosure. They need a lot of space for any chance they can stay together without fighting:0(

Old 21-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #8
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtortoises View Post
The lady was nice so why did she lie to me?
She had them from a lady who kept them together in a 2ft vivarium for all their lives
then when she had them she got a double 2ft tortoise table and she separated them because she said they had eggs and they died ?
We had soil but the unit broke because of the weight of it so i had to empty it till we get a strong unit they are in a 4ft by 2ft tortoise table now the lights a uv and heat all in one
will post photos tomorrow
mum and i gave them a bath and we see dried blood on his neck also the bigger tortoise had some scales missing like he had a fight a while ago
feeling upset now My sister said she would take one of the tortoise if they hurt each other

sorry about my spelling
Unfortunately you have been told all the things you wanted to hear as the nice lady just wanted your money I'm afraid it happens all the time.
As for the dried blood and scabs give them a good soak in warm water deep enough so they have to hold their heads out of the water. It might be a good idea to get some f10 cream and put on the sores.
If you can post some pics of the wounds we can advise don't worry you have done a good thing taking them on but you really need to keep them separate.
Old 21-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
CherryBrandy
Adult

Is this Charlie? Charlie I had 5 boys Horsfields who lived very very happily together for over 7 years. I did have to rehome one as he did bite the others and one unfortunately died last year, but the two big boys I have are living happily together. Take a day at a time and see what happens but monitor closely as their bites can be pretty nasty, especially around the neck. Keep us posted, don't be disheartened as it seem you sister is on hand too !! CB
Old 21-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #10
Jan W
Sub Adult

Well done Charlie for doing your best. The torts are already better off by the sounds of things and at least your sister can help if needed. Keep going as one or both will give you so much pleasure. All the experts on this forum will be able to help and guide you.

Best wishes