Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Shelled Warriors Shop, Classifieds and Rehoming > Rehoming

Closed Thread

Old 27-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
Austen
Egg

Default I want to rehome my inherited tortoise

I put this thread in the 'introduction' bit - realised it should probably go here...

Please bear with me - my computer skills are rubbish!

Hi -

My grandma brought a tortoise for her son when he was a child (about forty years ago). He lost interest and he has lived with her although she knew nothing about tortoises. He's been living on a diet of lettuce and cucumber and hibernating every year.

We recently got him and I've done as much research as I can on the net...began to introduce dandelions into his diet which he loves and also other vegetables - however I feel so dense as I've never looked after reptiles (only rescued mammals -dogs and cats) and I feel that he's not got the best home. Our garden is concrete so he had no grass and I just feel he should be with people who know what they're doing.

I've been searching on the net for the best thing for him and this site is what I found. I would love him to have a home where he would have the right equipment and the expertise that might help him bounce back from forty years of a lettuce/cucumber diet - and if he's the kind of tortoise that would like it, company. (also - he doesn't drink water...I've put a dish for him and he doesn't drink it - but he does eat cucumber which is mostly water but I've been reading is addictive for tortoises...I feel very lost about his wellbeing!)

Anyway - I have no idea where he's from...and I've tried to email this website to ask about re homing - but the email address provided doesn't work...so I thought I try here.

Hope someone can give some advice - thanks in advance.

Have (tried to) insert a black and white image of him - if anyone can identify what kind of tortoise he is..?

Old 28-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
lindso3000
Adult

Send a message via MSN to lindso3000

Hello!
Where abouts do you live?
Old 28-04-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
lindso3000
Adult

Send a message via MSN to lindso3000

Also photos of the underneath of shell will help to identify him!
Old 28-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Austin

Linds is right, a shot of the underside (plastron) is what's needed to confirm the species and sex of this lovely tortoise.
From what i can see he looks to be rather like a Spur Thigh, more specifically Testudo Graeca Graeca. Originally form North Africa.
They are lovely tortoises, I have 4 of these, all about 60 years old.

As I said though, a photo of the underside would confirm. A weight would also be of help
Oh, btw Make sure that you leave water down for him even if you think he's not drinking it, you never know if he's going to have a sneaky drink when your not looking

Last edited by Bindi; 28-04-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 28-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

From the time period you mention, that is when a lot of North African tortoises were being brought over to the UK, so I would agree with Bindi on the Species.
We have a group of North Africans (all rehomers) that came over around that time. Two of mine never noticeably drink water, but they are bathed regularly and offered some chopped cucumber in with their weeds along with the Nutrabol, it encourages one of them in particular to eat the weeds. (she was previously fed dog biscuits and Veg)

I would suspect he is the same species as our group, going by the shape of the shell, scutes and head. But more photos would confirm this. If you have problems uploading photos you could email them to me, or if they are from your phone, you could send them to mine and I will upload them for you.

You mentioned your garden is concrete, is that for the dogs that you have experience of rehoming?

Last edited by Laraine; 28-04-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 28-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
helen1
Sub Adult

Hi

I wonder if really you would like tons of positive advice to make you feel that you were doing the right things and ways of achieving this...

I get offered a lot of tortoises by people like youover each summer/spring/autumn....and a good few of these I help remain in their own homes....

For instance a yard need not neccessarily be a bar to keeping him....

He does look like tgg and he looks quite old...
Old 28-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
sammkins
Hatched

would you not consider keeping him with advice on how to keep him?
1 Siamese Kitten
6 Horsfield Torts
6 Baby Sulcatas
1 rabbit
2 Aylesbury Ducks

Hubbys list:
20 bearded Dragons
1 Blue tongue Skink
7 Chameleons
House Gheckos

and the list goes on!
Old 28-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

Wow he is gorgeous, good luck in finding him a new home. Your too far from me too, but I have told myself I'm not to have anymore pets until I can move anyway.
Old 28-04-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

Awww that sounds Like a brilliant idea of Vickys, Austin. At least then you could keep in touch.
Old 29-04-2009, 02:37 AM   #10
Katie-n-spoon
Hatched

hope we can help you with advice, so that you can keep him/her. its terrible having to give a pet up.
lots of people feel overwelmed to begin with but once youve got the basics sorted, tortoise keeping isnt as scary as it can seem .
But if you really want him rehomed then I think youve come to the right place to find him/her a loving new mummy or daddy .

all the best

katie

2.1.0 hermanns- Spoon, Wilfee, Hermie
1.1.0 tunisians- Daisy, Buttercup
0.1.0 dogs- Ripley
0.1.0 cat- Chloe- rip sweetie
Closed Thread