Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 27-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
flash_133
Egg

Default flash the box turtle needs help

My three toed box turtle is 13 I've had him since I was about 12 about nine years now ... he recently just stopped eating for three days now I have presented meal worm , mango , apple , lettuce and crickets to him , he smells them but doesn't eat.. I have also noticed he has not pooped for the time he hasn't atten not sure what to do when I put him in warm water he flipped out and was displeased .. after cooling it some more he did the same... I know he's not dehydrated he's in and out of his water a lot and I mist his tank every day to keep dust down... his substrate is ground coconut bark he loves it. ... plz help me I'm concerned and not sure what to do
flash_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash_133 View Post
My three toed box turtle is 13 I've had him since I was about 12 about nine years now ... he recently just stopped eating for three days now I have presented meal worm , mango , apple , lettuce and crickets to him , he smells them but doesn't eat.. I have also noticed he has not pooped for the time he hasn't atten not sure what to do when I put him in warm water he flipped out and was displeased .. after cooling it some more he did the same... I know he's not dehydrated he's in and out of his water a lot and I mist his tank every day to keep dust down... his substrate is ground coconut bark he loves it. ... plz help me I'm concerned and not sure what to do
Recent hot weather might have triggered a form of Aestivation, which is quite normal for North American box turtles. They secret themselves in their "scrapes" and can spend weeks in a very inactive phase. However, the onset of summer rain generally triggers a wake up and this will often be followed by a feeding binge.
My own group of Three toed box turtles have all been fairly inactive during the last few weeks but ahead of the recent heavy rains all started moving around and feeding again avidly. They sense the change in atmosphere often days before rain and will start becoming active and foraging for lots of inverts and fruit.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote