Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 19-05-2019, 11:16 PM   #41
tortydat
Sub Adult

That will certainly cheer up our Gordon. Hope all goes well tomorrow!
tortydat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #42
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
That will certainly cheer up our Gordon. Hope all goes well tomorrow!
It did cheer me up no end but as you know where there is an up there will always be a down.

Well arrived at hospital at 7am and eventually found the ward I was told to go to and to my amazement was booked in straight away.
So we started with the usual tests heart pulse etc then had bloods taken.
Then got to see a very nice lady doctor who proceeded to take my dressing off and I don't think she believed me as to how much stuff would come out and low and behold as soon as she incerted a swab stick the gates opened and it went everywhere including the wall and floor.
Then she put a load of absorbing type pads everywhere and then proceeded to clean the hole out which consisted of lots of syringes of saline and her finger up to its hilt inside me which was very odd and painful .
She then decide I needed an CT scan to see if there were any other pockets of infection.
Had all that done and was then sent to see a surgeon in another ward who was also a very nice chap until he said he would need to do the same as the doctor as the scan showed up a small medical hernia.
So back on a bed and boy did he go to town I had three of them prodding and poking inserting fingers tools squrting stuff in me and he even had a very long pair of scissors in there cutting out some bits to send off to be tested.
Anyway he couldn't find the hernia and patched me up and said I needed to go back and have the whole thing done again on Friday.
I must admit I am very very sore this morning and feeling very sorry for myself if anyone could have an everyday operation and it goes wrong it was going to be me.
Still look on the bright side my torts are getting lots of attention and lots of eggs are being laid and babies are hatching so will put up some pics later as I'm off to bed soon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #43
emma_mcraf
Adult

That sounds horrible.
I feel really bad for you, Gordon. It’s neverending it seems and having to go back yet again must be making you feel low.
Really hope this pocket of infection stops filling soon. I think if it carries on you could potentially ask for it to be cleaned out via general anaesthetic and then they can open it again and do a thorough clean and remove every sign of infection.
A friend had this done last summer when he had a collapsed lung. They gave him a GA to clean it all out. It might mean another night’s stay in hospital but if it saves all the to-ing and fro-ing, it might be worth asking.
I expect the antibiotics are also making you feel a bit rotten.
Take it easy and let’s hope this all clears up really soon. Will be interesting to see what the swab results are. I always get paranoid about hospitals and the amount of bugs in there. You go in for a minor op and come out full of an infection.

Good to hear the torts are doing well though.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #44
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Wow that's pretty awful - hope you get it all sorted on Friday. Right time of the year weatherwise and tortoisewise to be off though!

A friend of mine had to have a pacemaker replaced. There was an infection behind it so they really didn't want to operate, but it was a life-death situation. Some eight months+ later, his chest wound as still not healed and is infected. He is awaiting an operation to clean it all up etc, and is on standby to go in at short notice having seen several nurses, doctors and surgeons, but he is still waiting. Apart from the chest wound infection possibly caused by a reaction to the staples, he is fine.

Poked and prodded isn't nice, but I guess there are worse places?
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #45
tortydat
Sub Adult

For goodness sake what are you like always have to do things to the extreme!!! Hope you're not too uncomfortable and can sit in your favourite chair in the garden watching all the exciting tortoise events. Get better quickly otherwise we might be forced to visit which might cause a relapse!!
tortydat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 04:52 PM   #46
Yvonne G
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
It did cheer me up no end but as you know where there is an up there will always be a down.

Well arrived at hospital at 7am and eventually found the ward I was told to go to and to my amazement was booked in straight away.
So we started with the usual tests heart pulse etc then had bloods taken.
Then got to see a very nice lady doctor who proceeded to take my dressing off and I don't think she believed me as to how much stuff would come out and low and behold as soon as she incerted a swab stick the gates opened and it went everywhere including the wall and floor.
Then she put a load of absorbing type pads everywhere and then proceeded to clean the hole out which consisted of lots of syringes of saline and her finger up to its hilt inside me which was very odd and painful .
She then decide I needed an CT scan to see if there were any other pockets of infection.
Had all that done and was then sent to see a surgeon in another ward who was also a very nice chap until he said he would need to do the same as the doctor as the scan showed up a small medical hernia.
So back on a bed and boy did he go to town I had three of them prodding and poking inserting fingers tools squrting stuff in me and he even had a very long pair of scissors in there cutting out some bits to send off to be tested.
Anyway he couldn't find the hernia and patched me up and said I needed to go back and have the whole thing done again on Friday.
I must admit I am very very sore this morning and feeling very sorry for myself if anyone could have an everyday operation and it goes wrong it was going to be me.
Still look on the bright side my torts are getting lots of attention and lots of eggs are being laid and babies are hatching so will put up some pics later as I'm off to bed soon.
Aw heck! Well, (just cuz you're feeling sorry for yourself. . .) here's a BIG electronic hug!!! Get well soon.
Old 21-05-2019, 05:18 PM   #47
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne G View Post
Aw heck! Well, (just cuz you're feeling sorry for yourself. . .) here's a BIG electronic hug!!! Get well soon.
Thanks Yvonne it's nice to have a hug even if it's not a real one.
Old 21-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #48
emma_mcraf
Adult

We can all send hugs, SW group hug style..... (((Gordon)))

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 22-05-2019, 02:45 AM   #49
Gordon
Adult

I do appreciate all your well wishes and hugs across the airwaves they are probably best at the moment as my poor stomach is so sore real ones wouldn't be much fun.
Well it's now 1.45 am and I'm that blooming sore and feeling sick I have given up trying to sleep.
Old 22-05-2019, 09:39 AM   #50
emma_mcraf
Adult

It’s outrageous really that this has been ongoing since last December and now you’re in an even worse state following the surgery.
I bet you’ve tried all the anti-nausea methods - ginger, peppermint tea, sea bands on the pressure points on your wrists, medication, etc.
Really hope you get better soon. You won’t know yourself to be out of pain and feeling well again!
Take care of yourself. More virtual hugs. xxx