Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 14-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
JackieL
Sub Adult

[QUOTE=Burno;496118]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieL View Post
I feel so sorry for her, a new home, she had to travel quite a way, and now this , poor lass.

Yes I was exactly the same. Mine was severley underweight too + the fact she had Sid on her every moment! (lady I had them off said they got along great & he never bothered her!) she laid her eggs whilst he was asleep We were amazed!
Oh crumbs, that's awful. I never understand how a responsible owner can let a male pester a female in such a way.

My new one seems in great shape, she has a smooth shell and weight 916 grams ! (I've named her Izzy )
JackieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #12
burnt toast
Adult

I have pm'd you some idea's - have to run now sorry. Will try & get on later to see if any news. Good luck!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #13
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

About 8 to 10 inches of soild should do in an enclosure. You can slope the soil like Lynn said from the 8 to the 10 inches. Have a lamp in the middle of the slope. Surface temperatures under the lamp should be around 40C. Have the soil slightly damp and pressed down firmly. She may not want to try again today, but you never know. If at all possible (as in if it's sunny) try to get her outside again tomorrow. Where she was digging, dig that over to a depth of 12 inches. Taking out rocks and anything she might run into. Than put it all back and pack it down. Early tomorrow morning (if it's going to be sunny), boil some water and pour it over the spot where you have dug for her. Put her out 30 minutes after you've done that.

Danny
Old 14-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
JackieL
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
About 8 to 10 inches of soild should do in an enclosure. You can slope the soil like Lynn said from the 8 to the 10 inches. Have a lamp in the middle of the slope. Surface temperatures under the lamp should be around 40C. Have the soil slightly damp and pressed down firmly. She may not want to try again today, but you never know. If at all possible (as in if it's sunny) try to get her outside again tomorrow. Where she was digging, dig that over to a depth of 12 inches. Taking out rocks and anything she might run into. Than put it all back and pack it down. Early tomorrow morning (if it's going to be sunny), boil some water and pour it over the spot where you have dug for her. Put her out 30 minutes after you've done that.

Danny
Thank you very much Dan,

No more digging so I have put her in the bath.

Will keep you posted!

How long does the egg laying process take?
Old 14-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #15
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Jackie, my Beyonce laid this year, my first ever experience of it - she took about 2 hours to dig the nest and laid 4 eggs in umm maybe about an hour? It was probably less to actually lay but I left her where she was until she had finished covering the nest over. The will usually dig until their back feet can't touch the bottom of the pit.

The main thing is when she starts to lay not to disturb her as she may retain the eggs which can lead to complications - so If I were you I would get that nest site set up tonight and fingers crossed she likes what you've done

Good luck for tomorrow
Old 14-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #16
JackieL
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
Hi Jackie, my Beyonce laid this year, my first ever experience of it - she took about 2 hours to dig the nest and laid 4 eggs in umm maybe about an hour? It was probably less to actually lay but I left her where she was until she had finished covering the nest over. The will usually dig until their back feet can't touch the bottom of the pit.

The main thing is when she starts to lay not to disturb her as she may retain the eggs which can lead to complications - so If I were you I would get that nest site set up tonight and fingers crossed she likes what you've done

Good luck for tomorrow
Thanks Bindi. Its set up and she's digging again !!!!!!
Old 14-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #17
JackieL
Sub Adult

If she lays what do I do with the eggs ?
Old 14-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #18
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Do you want to incubate them?

If you do they should be ok for a day or so in a warm place. I popped Beyonce's eggs in a takeaway container filled with soil until I made my incubator. She took me by surprise as well

Here is a link showing how to make one

http://www.thetortoisehouse.com/Incubators04.htm

When she lays be sure to mark the top of the egg in pencil with a little cross, and the date she laid.

They should not be turned after the first 24 hours, although I was quite careful not to turn them at all just to be on the safe side

Last edited by Bindi; 14-09-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Bindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #19
JackieL
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
Do you want to incubate them?

If you do they should be ok for a day or so in a warm place. I popped Beyonce's eggs in a takeaway container filled with soil until I made my incubator. She took me by surprise as well

Here is a link showing how to make one

http://www.thetortoisehouse.com/Incubators04.htm

When she lays be sure to mark the top of the egg in pencil with a little cross, and the date she laid.

They should not be turned after the first 24 hours, although I was quite careful not to turn them at all just to be on the safe side
Yes I will incubate them, I couldn't not ! Thank you for the link, I'll have a read. We have a heat mat and a unused exo terra that our scorpion was housed in, would that be suitable ??

She has stopped digging now and is eating greens !
Old 14-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #20
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Umm, don't know about the exo terra, you mean a viv? I'm sure that could work, I thought about using one till I got given a poly box

Main thing is you get the temps stable, that's what I found the tricky part - that and the humidity...and the waiting...and the candling...and the waiting...and the waiting... lol

Tags
????