Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 17-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
AdamSoS
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to AdamSoS
Default Egg Hatched

Hi all

I have a hermann egg which has hatched two weeks early. It has cracked open. Any advice would be fantastic. i can see it is breathing inside.. do i just leave it to fully crack open?

Found this :

HOW LONG DO BABY TORTOISES TAKE TO LEAVE THE EGG?

From the time when they initially pierce the egg, it usually takes between 8-24 hours. The first small fracture is to permit air breathing to begin - prior to this time the embryos oxygen demand has been met via permeation through the egg shell. This first small hole is gradually enlarged over the next few hours. The hatchling may then sit in the egg for quite some time whilst its egg sac is absorbed. Until this is absorbed, the hatchling remains especially vulnerable as movement is seriously impaired.

Last edited by AdamSoS; 17-12-2009 at 09:45 PM.
AdamSoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

Yes I'd leave him too it. Just make sure your humidity is alright as it helps them hatch when its a little more humid!
Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
AdamSoS
Hatched

Yeh i put some more water in the humidity bit to make sure humity was fine.. she has cracked a whole to breathe, only checked on her for a min before leaving her in peace..

But in that time i noticed she did make a breathe, slight movement but not much but just left it and RAN to the PC and googled everything under the sun to ensure im doing the right thing
Old 18-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
AdamSoS
Hatched

Had a quick look this morning, the hole is no bigger in size, saw the little cuite move a little bit but that was it as only a quick check to see how the progress had gone..

I hope all is ok with the progress..this is my first egg to hatch

Last edited by AdamSoS; 18-12-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 18-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
sarah
Administrator
Adult

When my hermanns hatched it would take a day or two to fully get out. I advise getting some kitchen towel and dampen it and place on top of the egg for extra moisture which helps them get out easier.

When was the egg laid? how many days has it been in the incubator? if its hatched early it might have a large egg sack

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Ibby
Egg

Hi, i was also about to ask when they were laid, what timescale have you given them to hatch? I have had hermann eggs hatch from 50 days, perfectly healthy. Jill.
Old 18-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
AdamSoS
Hatched

Hi all and thank you for the replies.
Had a quick look but still nothing new.

It has been in the incubator for 5 weeks.. i will get the precise days when my gf is back who has my diary! /slap

I think i am just nervous as this is my first egg to hatch from 3 seperate trys so its all new.. and to see something so small and fragile is a feeling of shock and hope im doing the best for the little one.

So with the towel sarah, acutally put it over the egg ? what about the breathing? sorry for silly questions and really do thank you for your help
Old 18-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

35 days is very early. Mine usually take 49 to 59 days to hatch. You mentioned cracking, did the hatchling make a hole in the egg or did the egg crack open (like would happen when you cracked an egg to make an omellete)?

Danny
Old 18-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
AdamSoS
Hatched

No the hole is from what the baby has done it self. My timing may be wrong intill i get my diary, im awfull with long term thinking of dates!

The hole is the head end so you can see the head and the two hands. Since last night it has done nothing since.
Old 18-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
AdamSoS
Hatched

Sarah, its knocked more shell off and you can clearly see a big egg sack apart quater of the size of the acutal egg.. is this normal ?

Got my diary back it was 17th Oct so i was slightly off

Last edited by AdamSoS; 18-12-2009 at 05:30 PM.