Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 14-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #591
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Not too many places in France that have paper liners. Still lots of the hole in the ground sort:0(
Well, my experience is EuroDisney back when the kids were young, so perhaps it’s an American thing.
Not sure about the whole hole in the ground thing. I guess that gives the thighs a workout too.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 06:21 PM   #592
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Well, my experience is EuroDisney back when the kids were young, so perhaps it’s an American thing.
Not sure about the whole hole in the ground thing. I guess that gives the thighs a workout too.
Lol it would have been.
Since Joanne has been in France (20+years) I have only come across one loo with these sheets. And that was in Paris.
Down where she is in the south, I dont think they have heard of them. Although gradually the hole in the ground are disappearing:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 06:25 PM   #593
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
You won’t catch me in a pool these days. I haven’t been in one since my youngest was a baby and luckily they’ve all just about outgrown wanting to go swimming. Hubby takes my youngest if he wants to go but it’s a rarity.

As for public toilets, I wish they’d do the paper liners like in France. I never sit on the seat, but hover above, which really hurts the thighs, but I have to be desperate to go somewhere public.
Glad it’s not just me!
Fortunately mine didn’t really like going swimming, I had to make them go for lessons, but as soon as those were done , they couldn’t wait to stop. We were lucky enough to have my mother in laws pool in the summer, which they did enjoy . I think it was all the people they didn’t like in the public pools !

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 07:04 PM   #594
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Lol it would have been.
Since Joanne has been in France (20+years) I have only come across one loo with these sheets. And that was in Paris.
Down where she is in the south, I dont think they have heard of them. Although gradually the hole in the ground are disappearing:0)
That makes sense then. It’s an American thing. Glad the holes are gradually going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
Fortunately mine didn’t really like going swimming, I had to make them go for lessons, but as soon as those were done , they couldn’t wait to stop. We were lucky enough to have my mother in laws pool in the summer, which they did enjoy . I think it was all the people they didn’t like in the public pools !
Mine loved swimming. They had their lessons and then when older wanted to go whenever we had a week off. Hubby would go in with them and I’d sit reading my book and taking photos (we used a hotel pool) so they took snorkels, dive sticks and so on and had the pool to themselves mostly.
We did 1:1 private lessons for F as he couldn’t have coped with a class to learn to swim due to his autism. The others were all done and dusted by then. But it’s important to learn so it was worth it and he’s a good swimmer. Now if he goes with hubby they just go to a pool when there’s no school groups in though he wasn’t amused at the pensioners aquarobics class that came in once when he was there. Normally it’s just them and the odd swimmer doing lengths (bonus of home schooling). They were home a lot earlier on the aquarobics day!
I hated learning to swim with a vengeance. I don’t like swimming now. When I was a teen I’d go in the sea and use the pool on holidays abroad but I had to force myself to go to mother and baby swim group when child number one came along and then was so relieved when they were all old enough for proper lessons and I could just watch and not get in!
I’d say I haven’t been in a pool for about 12 years, possibly more, and don’t see that changing. I like a bath. A warm one with bubbles and chocolate and my book. That is the only thing that keeps me sane in life! My one half hour or so in the evening when everyone knows it’s my time so don’t phone me, don’t knock on the bedroom door and mum remains sane.

Anyway, how’s things been today, Gordon?
How is that horrid pain when you sit up? Is it easing at all? Hope so. x

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 14-02-2020, 07:40 PM   #595
Gordon
Adult

I'm not so sore now the drains are out and all cleaned and changed but that could be down to the fact they are now giving me the correct dosage of morphine and boy does it make a difference my head is buzzing and I am chatting with anyone who comes in even more than I normally do lol.
The worst of the two abscesses is the one which came back in the same place as the last one which on top of the abcess I had cellulitis in the same area. The new one which has appeared on the other side of the long wound that was almost healed was very deep looking at the length of drain that came out but is not that painful well to me anyway. I'm sure there are few that are as good with pain as me I am in that way very lucky I have a high pain tolerance level as I dont know how I would of coped otherwise.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 08:34 PM   #596
emma_mcraf
Adult

You’ve been amazingly brave and patient with it all. You’re pretty laid back and I think that has helped whereas I’d have lost it by now.
Really hope that this operation will be the final one for you. So let’s hope for no more infections, abscesses or hernias. It’s time for you to heal ready for the spring and the return of the swifts, swallows and martins.

Old 14-02-2020, 09:07 PM   #597
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
You’ve been amazingly brave and patient with it all. You’re pretty laid back and I think that has helped whereas I’d have lost it by now.
Really hope that this operation will be the final one for you. So let’s hope for no more infections, abscesses or hernias. It’s time for you to heal ready for the spring and the return of the swifts, swallows and martins.
And so say all of us xxxx

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 09:30 AM   #598
Gordon
Adult

Well I know I have said it before but this time you are all going to think I'm making all this up.

As I said we were very unserimonisly (not sure on spelling) wisked off the ward into a side room and I was told it was because I had MRSA well yesterday afternoon I was in the care of a nice nurse who said she would find out the stuff I need to shower with and a nasal spray so off she went only to come back a while later to ask who actually said I had MRSA as she cant find anything about it in my notes so we told her and described the nurse.
She went off and I was a bit bemused about it and then another nurse came in and said there is nothing in my notes to say I had it but I do have a ESBL bug/infection.
Now at this point I really lost the plot and my temper to the point I ordered the nurse out of my room b4 I was really rude to her which I didn't want to do as not her fault.

I'm having enough problems in my head as it is and now they have made it even worse to the point I am panicking now in fear if this flairs up again where can I go now as I have lost all the trust and faith in them now.
They really have won now I'm totally broken and so so upset I just dont know what to do.
You cant just go around saying something like that letting you panic as i first assumed mrsa was really bad and then say oh you dont actually have it or am i getting this all out of proportion.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #599
emma_mcraf
Adult

This is appalling, Gordon. No, you are not overreacting in the slightest. This is all just a huge balls-up from beginning to end. There’s definitely a lack of communication going on and you are just the poor victim in it.
I have never heard of ESBL so googled it, which I’m sure you’ve done already but the public health leaflet was really informative and I think they should provide infected patients with these leaflets in hospital. Here it is if it hasn’t come up on your search:
https://www.publichealth.hscni.net/s...flet_04_16.pdf

It’s says you’re susceptible due to having surgery and drains, etc. Plus some antibiotics do not work against it as the bug can break them down. So I think you’re within your rights to demand to see your consultant and for him to answer all your questions and if you’re on the right meds for it or not! Also you can tell him about the nurse who didn’t wash her hands before or after seeing you and went back to the nurses desk. How can patients be safe in hospitals if the nurses don’t even use the correct precautions and procedures to prevent infections being spread?!

Please try not to panic. I don’t think it is worse than MRSA, just needs different handling with the antibiotics.
Do not let them break you. Arm yourself with as much information as you can so you write down a list of questions and make sure they are answered thoroughly.
Or you can read and ignore me as usual!

But being serious, remember that none of this is your fault. It has been a catastrophe of errors every single time you’ve been in any of the hospitals and you are the victim in this. I really would contact PALS so they can do an internal investigation and support you. When I used them once they were very efficient and got things sorted quickly. But you might just not want the hassle of it. Then again, if you don’t speak out, will it keep occurring and will other patients also be given incorrect information?

You have to look after your head in this as it is so important and I do speak with some experience on that one. It’s probably totally impossible to relax in hospital but you need to look after yourself any way you can and get on here and talk to us when you need to. We are all sympathetic, empathetic and really sorry for the situation you’re in. You’re our mate and we’ll all offer support, as much as a few words can help.
I am sure your family are as angry and bewildered as you too, so all look after one another and you will get through this bloody awful situation.
Take care. xxx

Old 15-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #600
Yvonne G
Hatched

Quote:
You won’t catch me in a pool these days. I haven’t been in one since my youngest was a baby and luckily they’ve all just about outgrown wanting to go swimming. Hubby takes my youngest if he wants to go but it’s a rarity.

As for public toilets, I wish they’d do the paper liners like in France. I never sit on the seat, but hover above, which really hurts the thighs, but I have to be desperate to go somewhere public.
Glad it’s not just me!
Oh man. . . do I ever hear ya! I won't use a public toilet to save my life! Here in the States every public toilet has the paper liners, but it practically turns my stomach just to walk in the door. I won't do it!