Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Closed Thread

Old 21-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #31
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
Is your male elderly? Or have your females previously been with an old male?
Somebody I know had an old male who seemed to be the cause of some babies born with only one eye or none.
No, my male is 10/11 years old. But the females also had contact with a few youngsters males 4-5 years old. Could immature sperm cause disability? (I don't even know if the youngsters successfully managed to do the action, because while they definitely are willing, their technique still needs some improvement. At the moment they are very willing to do if from any side, front or back of the female.)
Old 21-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #32
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Never had one of my own have the problem, but I did purchase a hatchling that did. It was a Redfoot and sadly didn't make it.

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanako View Post
Thank you, Dan. Has any of yours ever had it? What was to outcome? Do you know why it happened? And why two tortoises at the same time have the same or very similar problem, when all the previous ones were ok? It shouldn't be inherited because none of my adults have this problem.
Old 21-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #33
Gordon
Adult

Sorry missed this.
I did try with one of suzes babies it couldn't open its mouth the only way I could get food down it was to hold its head out and roll up bits of food gently open its mouth and put it in with tweezers I kept this up for a while with regular stretching of the jaw but it never got any better and slowly went down hill so I made what I think was the best decision to have it put to sleep.
Now I know we all call them our babies but even if you manage to hand feed it is it really in its best interest to do so for the next 60 odd years.
I think unless you can see any improvement in a few days the kindest thing to do is put them to sleep.
Old 21-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #34
Hanako
Hatchling

thank you, Danny and Gordon.
Old 21-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #35
Wyannis
Hatchling

Horrible decision to have to make Hanako. Let's hope you see some improvement soon.
Old 21-07-2015, 08:37 PM   #36
Gordon
Adult

It is but best to do it now as they seem to do ok for a while then go down hill so like a lot of things tortoises do dying is slow too sorry for saying it like that but I have had a few hatchlings die and it always seems to be when they are three to four weeks old .
Old 21-07-2015, 08:52 PM   #37
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanako View Post
No, my male is 10/11 years old. But the females also had contact with a few youngsters males 4-5 years old.
Ah well it was just a thought
Old 21-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #38
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
It is but best to do it now as they seem to do ok for a while then go down hill so like a lot of things tortoises do dying is slow too sorry for saying it like that but I have had a few hatchlings die and it always seems to be when they are three to four weeks old .
I definitely can't do it now because at this moment I don't even know if it is reversible (whatever is wrong). It is like giving up on them. I won't go for tube feeding, but at least they should have as much chance as they should have in nature (if not better chance). So if they start going downhill, I will let the vet help them die, but not now. Not yet. Just in case that they are fighters and overcome whatever problem it is.
Old 21-07-2015, 09:12 PM   #39
CherryBrandy
Adult

Rooting for them. I think you will know if the time comes anyway, or nature will take its course and as you say it may not be the case - They could be fighters ! CB
Old 21-07-2015, 09:26 PM   #40
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Sorry missed this.
I did try with one of suzes babies it couldn't open its mouth the only way I could get food down it was to hold its head out and roll up bits of food gently open its mouth and put it in with tweezers I kept this up for a while with regular stretching of the jaw but it never got any better and slowly went down hill so I made what I think was the best decision to have it put to sleep.
Now I know we all call them our babies but even if you manage to hand feed it is it really in its best interest to do so for the next 60 odd years.
I think unless you can see any improvement in a few days the kindest thing to do is put them to sleep.
Was just about to tell this story, so that's what happened. I noticed exactly the same as you, it was trying to eat, lunging the head forward, but then I noticed it couldn't open its mouth. Then as has been said, Gordon tried for about a week, but it couldn't eat and faded, so we decided to have it put to sleep.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Closed Thread