Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 26-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
Hollie
Egg

Unhappy Help needed!!!

Hello to all and I wish you all Merry Christmas.

I was bought a baby Horsfield tort (Tallulah) for Christmas, of which I am concerned with.

My partner received Tallulah a week before Christmas and was feeding her cabbage and rocket, and she she wolfed this down over a day or so. However, since coming home, she hasn't eaten a thing. When food is placed in front of her she turns her head, and literally moves away from the food. So it's been nearly 2 days without food. Is this normal? How often do baby horsfieldtorts eat?

I have gone out and bought cabbage, rocket, carrots and swede, apples and Komodo pellets. How often should they eat the pellets?

Should baby torts have a food bowl? I thought torts prefer to smell and see there food, plus she is so tiny, I dont think she would actually be able to feed if the food was in a bowl/ tray. What do you guys think?

Im sorry to bombard you guys, however, this is my first tort, and i love her already

Hope you can help

Hollie
Hollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Welcome to the forum Hollie

We are going to need to know how you have Tallulah set-up to be able to offer help. What do you have for lights? How long are the lights on? What are the temperatures in the enclosure, under basking lamp, warm end, cool end and night time?

Danny
Old 26-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

Plus daytime temperatures should be around 32c under the lamp, with a cooler part to retire to. Tortoises do take time to adjust to a new home, different smells and she doesn't know you yet so is probably frightened. If your setup is correct, she will start eating but it can take up to two weeks. In the meantime make sure she has the chance to sit in a warm water dish to keep hydrated. The food you are providing is not correct for a hatchling. Try and keep off the cabbage family as much as possible. Look for some tortoise edible weeds from the garden, or use Florette mixed salad leaves from the supermarket. A tiny tortoise is only going to eat a small amount anyway. Please keep off the pellets for a hatchling and stick to leaves. Also sprinkle calcium dust on the food and use a good tortoise vitamin a couple times a week.
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
kkenny
Sub Adult

my baby wouldnt eat for a week when it moved home, they dont like change.

Try some dandelion leaves if you can find them, not sure Rocket is too good really.

I use pellets very occaisonally but I think it is ok once/twice a week.

Good luck.

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Hollie
Egg

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your advise. It has reassured me a little.

Tallulah is housed in an open topped tort table, with a UV light to bask, and a house for the cooler times. In the house I have put shredded paper, because I read the like to bury themselves. Is this right? She seems to like it.

Her house is filled with chippings, however, I have also read that chippings is not the best for such a small tort. Do you offer any suggestions?

I have purchased a thermometer, and just waiting to receive it off the internet. However, im going to purchase another, just to make sure it is the right temp for Tallulah.

I have also read that torts should not be fed lettuce leaves as they are low on nutrients. Every info source is different, and is very confusing.
I have also bought Komodo pellets, which I will stay away from feeding Tallualh if this is not advisable.

I have got Tallulah Neutrobal calcium supplement, which I have been dusting the food with everytime, however, shes not eaten any of it!

I will get some leafy food for her, and go from there. I thought it would be new to her environment, people etc and thought this maybe why shes not eating. I just hope she settles in quickly.

Thank you again for all of your comments.

Hollie and Tallulah
Old 27-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
Easter Bunny
Adult

This website is brilliant for seeing whatfoods to feed http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/s...ise_home_1.asp

Cabbage is a do not feed food
rocket you can be fed in moderation
apples are not good either and do not feed the pips as they contain cyanide

I usually feed my torts weeds but now they are hard to find they have florette mixed salad bag and a few pellets that are called exotic leaf eater.

It is normal that your tortoise isn't eating, they hate change and takes time for them to settle.

Lynne x
Old 27-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
Xero
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to Xero

You say you use a UV Light for basking? what bulb is this? as it may not give of any heat which could be the problem..

Peaches > Turbo > Speedy > Dexcie

1.2.0 T.h.Horsfieldii..R.I.P Speedy :(
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
Xero
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to Xero

Also, for bedding I would advise Top Soil, you can get it from any garden centre such as B&Q or Homebase, it is also one of the cheaper tort beddings.

Peaches > Turbo > Speedy > Dexcie

1.2.0 T.h.Horsfieldii..R.I.P Speedy :(
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
Hollie
Egg

I have checked the basking temp which is fine, and her bed the cooler part of the house is fine. The bulb is a heat and UV bulb. I think she just needs to settle, and get used to her surroundings.

Would you suggest bathing Tallulah everyday whilst she's not eating? Just too keep her hydrated, or will this be too much?

She was eating before I got her, however, she has not eaten for 3days now.

Hollie and Tallulah
Old 29-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #10
andybrock
Incubating

Bathing the little one will have no harm.
Most important thing is temperature,32-34 in the basking area and a cooler area to retire to
Dont worry about her not eating,it can take a week for a tort to settle in.
Just keep bathing and I'm sure she will be munching away before you know it
andybrock is offline   Reply With Quote