Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 14-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
robertsutton1978
Egg

Default 2 Tier Tortoise Table

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using 2 tier tortoise tables ?
I've seen some pictures of them on the internet and after building my tortoise shed last year I'm turning my attention to his enclosure now Spring is here
I thought having a 2 tier table with a ramp joining them would be an easy way of doubling the space he has.
I have a 10 year old Hermann's tortoise so he is quite big now.
Has anybody got one ? Do tortoises actually use the ramp or do they have trouble climbing the ramp or refuse to use it ?

Thanks for any help

Rob
robertsutton1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
NDevon
Egg

As long as the ramp is wide enough, not too steep and it's not slippery it will be fine. You also need to make sure the tortoise can't fall off the side of the ramp or the upper level.

Depending on the layout and size of the upper level you may need heating and lighting underneath, just check when it's done and has substrate in. Multi-level enclosures are a great way of giving the tortoise more space within a limited square footage, you just need to ensure its safe and accessible for going up and down. Once they have done it they don't have issues going up and down, plenty of options to ensure the ramp isn't slippery, just watch the angle.
NDevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I've seen a few people get them and they turn out to be more bother than they are worth really
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
robertsutton1978
Egg

Thanks for the replies.
What problems have you seen Alan ?
Rob
Old 15-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #5
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsutton1978 View Post
Thanks for the replies.
What problems have you seen Alan ?
Rob
Various things like controlling the temperature gradient, getting light in the bottom section as well as the top , getting a ramp that they won't climb over the sides of. The sides of the ramp have to be at least the same height as the walls otherwise they will get over them especially if there is more than one tort. They would barge each other down the ramp or over the sides if more than one. Cleaning out the lower section. They tend to want to go where the heat and light is and are not really interested much in anything else.

They look good but seem not to be very practical.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

nightmare Rob, I would steer clear if I were you. Stale air leads to respiratory conditions and stress for torts, cleaning will be a problem and s/he will only rest up under lamp and in the corner more than likely. Practical is best and cheap as possible. Try a grow bag tray and 4 bits of wood. Cardboard box for a home and old pot for interest with a few stones and plants. No point spending loads. CB
Old 16-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #7
NDevon
Egg

Cleaning is a problem if it's all fixed in and not big enough for you to access. If you have he room access is not an issue and if you are clever with your design it won't be hard to lift out the top layers. I'm working on a couple of large indoor environments to build in a small barn that isn't being used. As the barn is 50' long there will be a load of space but to give them more room I'm looking at different ways to add a second level so I can add a huge amount of additional space. It depends on how much work you want to do and how much you want to spend but for me it's a lot cheaper to build up than add a second barn!

Things like air circulation, temperature control and lighting are very easy to fix, you just can't take for granted that temperatures would be the same as above - they won't. The issues with the ramp are also easy to resolve of you simply enclose the sides, it wouldn't be safe to have an open ramp if the second level is any real height. That's e smallest of the issues in my opinion. Access to clean them out is down to getting in there and getting dirty unless it's a small enclosure you can reach in!
Old 16-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #8
NDevon
Egg

The cleaning aspect is the hardest to resolve but it depends on the space. If you are talking about a table it's easy to reach in, if you are talking about the shed you may have to climb in! On a table you can make the second level removable but it can still be perfectly safe and secure when in place.

I'm looking into this as I'm converting a small barn that isn't being used into some indoor enclosures, the barn isn't small at around 50' long but it's easier to build two level enclosures than a second barn, and I want to maximise space.

Air circulation is easy, as is lighting and heating, you approach that as you would in any per enclosure, you can't take for granted that the temperature will be the same on each level.

The ramp needs to be safe and secure as I mentioned in my first post in the thread, but it's not at all difficult to achieve this. It wouldn't be wise or safe to have it an open ramp, you need it enclosed, if you do that then there is no issue. Tortoises climb in the wild so as long as it's not steep they will manage.
Old 18-04-2016, 08:14 AM   #9
robertsutton1978
Egg

Thanks for the advise everyone, just what I wanted to know.
I'll have to think a bit more on it.
Rob
Old 18-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

clearly you don't have a Horsfield ! ramp side or no ramp side they will be over. I'd caution against wood bottom or any tannerised wood bottom - it will sweat and it will hold water and if soil it will engrain with old soil and poop - spraying each day will rot any wood and if it doesn't the fungi and bacteria will build up. then watch put for the water dish which will be spun around like a plate if its a Horsfield, stale and stagnant likely outcome depending how old and big your tortoise is. All good stuff though and will watch out for pickies !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDevon View Post
Cleaning is a problem if it's all fixed in and not big enough for you to access. If you have he room access is not an issue and if you are clever with your design it won't be hard to lift out the top layers. I'm working on a couple of large indoor environments to build in a small barn that isn't being used. As the barn is 50' long there will be a load of space but to give them more room I'm looking at different ways to add a second level so I can add a huge amount of additional space. It depends on how much work you want to do and how much you want to spend but for me it's a lot cheaper to build up than add a second barn!

Things like air circulation, temperature control and lighting are very easy to fix, you just can't take for granted that temperatures would be the same as above - they won't. The issues with the ramp are also easy to resolve of you simply enclose the sides, it wouldn't be safe to have an open ramp if the second level is any real height. That's e smallest of the issues in my opinion. Access to clean them out is down to getting in there and getting dirty unless it's a small enclosure you can reach in!