Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Closed Thread

Old 23-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
Pussygalore
Adult

so its nothing to do with the proper TT? I didn't think they'd give out that advice especially the bit about nor needing heat inside and I know there are many owners who's torts lay inside. In fact Tootsie my 'ex' Ibera would often choose to lay in her house rather than the garden, it would depend on the weather when she needed to lay.
Old 23-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
so its nothing to do with the proper TT? I didn't think they'd give out that advice especially the bit about nor needing heat inside and I know there are many owners who's torts lay inside. In fact Tootsie my 'ex' Ibera would often choose to lay in her house rather than the garden, it would depend on the weather when she needed to lay.
No, it is not connected to the TT.
I think it is probably as Alan says just one persons views, possibly just a member rather than one of the team, within all groups such as this you will always have different opinions. Lots of the members are elderly, they keep their torts outside in the garden, they dont provide any kind of heat ever, some mainly feed lettuce, tomato and cocumber and some torts hibernate under shrubs etc so from this angle I think the group is fighting an uphill battle. It takes alot of time and effort to run a group such as this to try to bring about change, Jenny is doing her best, I dont agree with everything she says but she is making much more effort than me to help educate people!
Old 23-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
TBH123
Hatched

Sorry its a group not a trust, my bad.

I didnt catch the name of the person i spoke to but they were very opinionated!

Like my mum said 'Do your best, dont listen to everyone else you'll be all over the place'
Old 23-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #14
Catwoman63
Adult

Its horrible that they made you feel that way, but as everyone says its just one persons opinion, i would have got really angry if they spoke to me like that, they are supposed to help and advise not go off like that and make you feel like your doing something terrible and your useless x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Old 23-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #15
NATURALIS
Adult

I agree its only one persons opinion , the only part i do agree with is they should be outside 24/7 this time of year.
Old 23-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #16
TBH123
Hatched

I didnt completely disagree with what she said

Its just the way they tried to scare me into doing things and telling me i HAVE to do what they said. Urmmm no! Do you know my tortoises? are they unhealthy? no! so do one! (to them)

I did agree with having them out especially in this nice weather they're loving it! But i persoanlly bring them in for my peace of mind and they do get a tad cold when it passes 10 o'clock. Just want my babies to have some sort of warmth overinight (No lamps) then back out in the morning
Old 23-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #17
Pussygalore
Adult

there's nothing wrong with bringing them in, but maybe when they get older you can provide a nice warm wooden house that can be shut up at night. You'll find the torts will soon learn to go in thier house and will probably be in bed before you shut them in. Its always a good idea to keep the table ready even in the summer as we often get cold wet weeks and if you don't have electrity and heating in your outside house for those occassions then bringing them in for a warm up is often the only choice. They won't die outside but would be miserable, cold and not come out.
Old 23-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
EJ
Adult

Nobody EVER does that on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBH123 View Post
I didnt completely disagree with what she said

Its just the way they tried to scare me into doing things and telling me i HAVE to do what they said. Urmmm no! Do you know my tortoises? are they unhealthy? no! so do one! (to them)

I did agree with having them out especially in this nice weather they're loving it! But i persoanlly bring them in for my peace of mind and they do get a tad cold when it passes 10 o'clock. Just want my babies to have some sort of warmth overinight (No lamps) then back out in the morning
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 23-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #19
TBH123
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Nobody EVER does that on this site.
I dont get it? haha
Old 23-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #20
TBH123
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
I don't... we actually had a frost the other morning. This year has been pretty poor with the weather so far in this area... today and yesterday have been the only sunny days in the last few weeks... with the rest of the time being very dull... wet and cold.
Down here it hasnt quite been frosty but since monday the weather has been good. Maybe im just too OTT with whats good and whats bad weather-wise lol