Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Closed Thread

Old 22-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
TBH123
Hatched

Default Devon Tortoise Group

Hi.

I have to say im a tad disheartened at the min

I was speaking to a member of the Devon tortoise trust recently and honestly they have made me feel so bad about my tortoise keeping!

They didnt stop going on about all the bad things that could happen and just generally made me feel really crap about everything. They kept going on about
egg-binding
The 'fact' females WILL NOT lay indoors?
Im feeding them too much?
I MUST have them outdoors 24 hours a day at this time of year
I HAVE to hibernate and it is extremly selfish of me not to!
If i have them inside they need no heat on at all
My female is far too oversived for her age (she was resced at this size)
Males and females musnt be kept together
And they really tried to scare me by telling me 'tortoise horror stories' and how much everything costs and how ill they get and emergency operations....

etc etc! I think you get the idea!

Has anyone else had any troubles with them or any tortoise organisation? Seems like anything i say or do, just isnt correct in their eyes!

I have to say, over the last couple of days i have considered just jacking it all in and giving up cos they made me feel worthless I mean they've made me feel like i cannot look after/ provide for my pets! Feel sick everytime i think about it! :/

Last edited by egyptiandan64; 23-05-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 22-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Watermelon
Adult

Angry

Grrr Tracy!!!! These sort of people make me angry. The member you spoke to was obviously trying to shove their opinions down your throat. If all the members are like it then I would seek another group else where with more open minded people. I've heard people with strict tortoise keeping 'regulations' but that sounds the most strictest I've heard! When I come across these people I just argue with them until they shut up. Then behind my back I get the judgmental comments made about me... She's only had tortoises a year she knows nothing......or something like that. But I dont care! I'm sure most members have come into contact with people like this before. Dont let these people get you upset or scare you into thinking that their way is right. xxx

Last edited by Watermelon; 22-05-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 22-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Watermelon
Adult

Apparently you arent called Tracey. My apologies.
Old 23-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
kreacher
Sub Adult

There are always people like that on most sites! Keeping animals is not something that can be done from a text book and some people get so funny when other people do things differently! I've been keeping repriles for 15 years and I'm still learning so many things everyday! It is your tortoise and no body can tell you what your tortoise will or won't like because they are all completely different....if I had to keep my repriles by the book I would have to change so many of my setups, we have modified them to the likes of our individual animals and I'm sure there's lots of 'text book keepers' that would slate us for it!
Youve obviously put in a lot of effort for your tortoise to be on the forums learning about them so don't let people tell you otherwise.
Old 23-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Ah the dictator approach

It may be the view of just that person though and not the view of the Devon Tortoise Trust. I'd be surprised if there's no one on here from Devon who may want to comment on whether it is in fact one person's view or the view of the DTT
Old 23-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
Pussygalore
Adult

I've never heard of the Devon TT only the main TT unless you just mean a member of the TT who lives in Devon. To be honest I'd imagine if the name The Tortoise Trust is already in use someone else using it would be in the wrong.
Old 23-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

there may be one, see last post in thread here http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=uk
Old 23-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
alley cat
Adult

It is the Devon Tortoise Group, of which I am a member.
Old 23-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I imagine it is just the view of one individual, show them the photos on here of torts laying indoors and that will put them right
Old 23-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
alley cat
Adult

Who was the person you spoke to? was it someone who runs it or a member?
Closed Thread