Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 13-05-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
fourtorts
Incubating

Default update on tortoise pellet victim

Hi, Just thought I'd let you know how he is doing.
The little guy has been outside for a few days and I have been bringing him back inside in the evening. He still seemed stressed and was wizzing everywhere both inside and out, but when I brought him back in last night he seemed to settle down under his new heater quite quickly. I only put it on few a couple of hours just to make sure he was warmed up as he hadn't been outside before.
This morning he seemed quite bright but he still hadn't eaten since last Wednesday. I put him outside in his new temporary enclosure and he seemed so much calmer and happier and then he nibbled on some wild rocket in a pot I had placed in his enclosure and then he ate a little piece of an orange pepper, (I thought the colour would catch his eye) a small plantain and dandalion leaf.
Yeah........ I am going to wean him off the tort pellets as quickly as I can and throw them through the petshop window where he was purchased (joke.. I wish). I am taking him to the vet when I have a sample so he can be checked out for worms etc...
I must admit it's a wonderful feeling to know that a little tort has been saved from a sad existance. I know that he will be cared for by his new owner and that he will have the support of myself and Shelled Warriors.

my doggy daycare web

http://www.littledoggydaycare.co.uk/index.php
fourtorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 12:51 AM   #2
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Lynne,

Now he is eating weeds I wouldnt give him any pellets at all, you have to be tough.

Peppers are also a fruit so is no good really, try him with some pansy flowers, mine go mad for them especially the purple ones and also dandilion flowers are a real treat.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 01:09 AM   #3
Jelbel
Egg

mine loves purple pansy too (much to mums frowning haha) and as soon as i realised how damaging the pellets were i took him right off them. no weaning they just went right off the menu. ill only be giving as a very rare treat now, weedy bits only for stanley!
well done for bringing this little torty back from such a sad life!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jelbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 01:16 AM   #4
LilyLoo
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to LilyLoo Send a message via Yahoo to LilyLoo

Hi Lynne

Well done you seem to be doing a good job with him.

I agree with Ade, be tough no more pellets!

When I rehomed Arthur my 6 year old male he had been fed pellets and salad all his life and it took him a couple of weeks to get the hang of weeds and eating them with limestone flour! He loves weeds now and will graze quite happily in his enclosure.

Keep us posted on his progress.
Old 14-05-2008, 01:17 AM   #5
fourtorts
Incubating

Thanks for your comments,
I 've tried him on pansies he wasn't keen yet. I don't think he knows what a flower is, he's never had anything other than pellets. I also thought that any change of diet had to be done gradually so I was going to reduce the pellets on a daily basis. I did this when I had my Hermanns who had been fed on pellets, tinned peaches and grapes
I didn't think that peppers were fruit I thought you could give them to mediterranean torts. I have been giving them sparingly to mine and my reds go mad for them. Better take them off the meds menu....

my doggy daycare web

Old 14-05-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
fourtorts
Incubating

He will also be getting his nutrobal and limestone flour alternated on a daily basis although he did come with some Nutrobal but I think it was as old as he was (about 3 years) so I binned it and used mine.

my doggy daycare web

Old 14-05-2008, 01:51 AM   #7
Scott_M
Incubating

what kind of turtle pellets? Mazuri?
Scott_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 01:52 AM   #8
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Lynne,

Redfoots can eat fruit but meds shouldnt.

If you stopped giving the pellets altogether it is fairer on the torotise, as he wil only miss them for a short while whereas you are prolonging the misery by weaning them away.

Does he go outdoors to graze and find his own weeds etc???? This would be a great time to get him off them as the weather has been brilliant.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Old 14-05-2008, 01:53 AM   #9
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_M
what kind of turtle pellets? Mazuri?
Hi Scott, they are probably T-rex ones, (Multi coloured) but Mazzuri are as bad anyway for med species tortoises.

Ade

Old 14-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
Beverley
Adult

I know it seems cruel but I would just give him garden weeds as well, he will soon grow to love them and forget all about those nasty tort pellets, good luck and keep up the good work.

Beverley