Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 18-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #41
steve56616
Egg

Thanks Sandy. I was just concerned as I wasnt expecting this to happen yet, I was thinking around 70 days so another few weeks yet. Was only because the alarm went off for some reason I checked. Temp has been 32.5 c and this was the only time the alarm sounded as it dropped to 30c for some reason.
Does the egg look normal ? i mean the pip site? I will look again tomorrow. Other two show nothing and cant see anything on candling at all
steve56616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #42
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve56616 View Post
Thanks Sandy. I was just concerned as I wasnt expecting this to happen yet, I was thinking around 70 days so another few weeks yet. Was only because the alarm went off for some reason I checked. Temp has been 32.5 c and this was the only time the alarm sounded as it dropped to 30c for some reason.
Does the egg look normal ? i mean the pip site? I will look again tomorrow. Other two show nothing and cant see anything on candling at all
To be honest when I bred torts, the norm was to pip at either end of the egg. But pipping anywhere could happen and it did. The hatchling has a pip on the end of the nose, which is used to push against the shell to help break out.
Its hard to see if the crack is ok as photobucket sign is over the crack. But from what I can see its normal.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #43
steve56616
Egg

Im afraid its all gone wrong and I feel devastated. Yesterday the alarm sounded in the incubator which made me look. Unplugged it and plugged it back it and it was all fine. Not sure what happened. During the night the thermostat stuck on and no alarm sounded. All three are dead now. Im absolutely gutted and feel terrible
Old 19-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #44
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Im afraid its all gone wrong and I feel devastated. Yesterday the alarm sounded in the incubator which made me look. Unplugged it and plugged it back it and it was all fine. Not sure what happened. During the night the thermostat stuck on and no alarm sounded. All three are dead now. Im absolutely gutted and feel terrible
How do you know they are dead?

Old 19-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #45
steve56616
Egg

Sandy, they were really hot and colour went all stastained. The hatching one was stiff opened others and were same. I'm so upset as got all through to the end and thermostat failed
Old 19-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #46
steve56616
Egg

Stained I meant. Sorry writing o. My phone
Old 19-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #47
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Sandy, they were really hot and colour went all stastained. The hatching one was stiff opened others and were same. I'm so upset as got all through to the end and thermostat failed
Ok sorry to hear, but its still a good learning curve (stay positive) and you wont let it happen again:0)
You will be prepared for next year:0)

Old 19-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #48
emma_mcraf
Adult

Really sorry to hear that Steve. How disappointing and sad for you.
As Sandy says, it is a learning curve but I empathise with how upsetting it must be. For what it's worth, I've only hatched one surprise egg but she pipped at the side of the egg too.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #49
steve56616
Egg

Thank you. Yes it is a learning curve. Not sure what I could have done as it was a malfunction. Just sad I got right to the end. They were mating again over the past few weeks. She was showing signs of nesting again but weather changed. Is there a chance she will lay again this year or will she retain eggs for next year?
Old 19-08-2019, 03:03 PM   #50
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Thank you. Yes it is a learning curve. Not sure what I could have done as it was a malfunction. Just sad I got right to the end. They were mating again over the past few weeks. She was showing signs of nesting again but weather changed. Is there a chance she will lay again this year or will she retain eggs for next year?
Provided the temps are right and good laying area, then she could quite easily lay again. My females have all laid twice and one three times this year.
If you had problems with a thermostat I would try and keep the eggs warm even if you turn the incubator off and cover with blankets etc. Or polystyrene as that will help keep temps up.
Or have a back up system, heated propagator. As it was towards the end it sounds like the temps went far too high. Better to have been lower and they still could have hatched.
If she does not lay this year then she will next in the early Spring if temps are right. I know my tortoises do this on a regular basis.