Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 18-08-2016, 10:06 PM   #31
Blueginger1984
Incubating

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've had Dory since 2011 and I was told he was about 1 year old then, so he's about 6-7 years old now. He is definitely a boy as he has flashed us before and he usually humps his rock lol
I have an arcadia 12% uvb tube for cub, this was changed in April this year.
I have a zoomed heat bulb in the warm end. I use digital thermometers and have 1 each end.
He diet is a mixture of mixed weeds which I buy from the shelled warrior shop and lettuce, crispy salad mix.
When he is outside he just wonders around I don't think he is trying to find a hiding spot? He does go behind plant pots and sits for a minute and then goes wondering again.
I'm still bathing him everyday, he doesn't poop in his bath, but he did when he was outside today.

Last edited by Blueginger1984; 18-08-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Blueginger1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 10:53 PM   #32
Anyfoot
Incubating

Swap your 2 digital thermometers around, if they both read what they are reading now when swapped then you know the thermometers are probably reading correctly.
On top of digital read outs I use an infrared temperature gun, these are an excellent and accurate way of measure temperatures on surfaces. You'll be amazed how temps fluctuate outside with different surfaces and colours. The other day it was 22°c here in the shade as forecasted. Soil temps and my torts carapace was 36°c. This is because it was a clear day. A bit of useless info for you lol. There only £10 on eBay. No need for an expensive one. I have a £300 one we use at work. I compared this to my own £10 gun. Exactly same reading. It gives me satisfaction my gauges are not out of control.
Anyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 01:13 AM   #33
burnt toast
Adult

Its very unusual for a tort to vomit. It could have been the antibiotic injection as one of my torts had sceptacemia earlier in the year. She vomitted for the first 3 days of being injected.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #34
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyfoot View Post
Swap your 2 digital thermometers around, if they both read what they are reading now when swapped then you know the thermometers are probably reading correctly.
On top of digital read outs I use an infrared temperature gun, these are an excellent and accurate way of measure temperatures on surfaces. You'll be amazed how temps fluctuate outside with different surfaces and colours. The other day it was 22°c here in the shade as forecasted. Soil temps and my torts carapace was 36°c. This is because it was a clear day. A bit of useless info for you lol. There only £10 on eBay. No need for an expensive one. I have a £300 one we use at work. I compared this to my own £10 gun. Exactly same reading. It gives me satisfaction my gauges are not out of control.
This is good information exactly what I would of suggested.
You say definitely male as he flashed to you but remember females will do the same a picture would be a good way of telling.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #35
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Whats is the correct basking spot temperature for med species?
About 32c at the most, with temps around 20-25c at the other end for med tortoises.
Horsfields around 30-31c and 20c the other end:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 10:21 AM   #36
Anyfoot
Incubating

Thanks. When am I going to see some photos of your box turtles. Love these guys. Start a thread(he shouts).
Anyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #37
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Thanks. When am I going to see some photos of your box turtles. Love these guys. Start a thread(he shouts).
All my boxies live outside from around May until around the end of September or late October, depending on the weather. So very difficult to get a photo. As some are very skittish and run when they feel or see someone coming. Better when they are in their GH, winding down for hibernation. I will try and remember to get some then:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 11:40 AM   #38
CherryBrandy
Adult

I think in a way its a good thing Dory vomited as it shows organs and tissues are in working order and body's response to a 'poison' is ok. I do hope Dory is ok. Good recommendation re the IR thermometer. It compliments a digital thermometer, and provides surface temps rather than ambient but if ambient is high like in this hot weather then a heat source onto a surface can multiple that tenfold but you wont know that as digital thermometer will show ambient not direct. You would be surprised how easy it is for a tortoise to get heat stroke, or overheat. Then to bathe a hot, or indeed cold tortoise can throw their thermo regulation into orbit ,which then can lead to a chemical reaction against the body's' defence or immune system. CB
Old 19-08-2016, 08:47 PM   #39
Blueginger1984
Incubating

This is a picture of when Dory showed us his bits! He also tucks his tail into the side which I read is what male torts do.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...4/IMAG0103.jpg
Old 19-08-2016, 11:19 PM   #40
burnt toast
Adult

Well ithinkwe can safely say he's a he! 😁😁
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote