Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 11-08-2016, 06:53 PM   #11
CherryBrandy
Adult

Is Dory eating ok now BG? If results back and all ok I suspect its summer blues and he needs some time outdoors if can even for a little while and he may be sulking if he has been out and is now back ! hope all is ok CB
Old 13-08-2016, 09:08 PM   #12
Jan W
Sub Adult

I am not an expert on tortoise xrays, but they do look over exposed and that is perhaps why not clear.

One of my torts loves the heat (lamp or strong sun) but also seems to be tolerant of the cooler temperatures. Beatrice does not like the heat as much, but is less tolerant when the temperatures are cooler. It took me a while to figure this out. So hopefully it may be as simple as right temperature.

Do keep us updated.

Hope all goes well.
Old 16-08-2016, 10:58 PM   #13
Blueginger1984
Incubating

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't replied sooner.
All Dorys blood test came back clear which is great news . The vet decided to give him an antibiotic injection, which he had Monday. He will then repeat the injection again if he thinks he needs it. He also said once the antibiotic has had chance to work, he may repeat the xray to see if there is any change. I think this is because I asked if the xray machine was strong enough to give a clear picture (probably a stupid question I know!) But this will be free so it's worth looking. He has sent the xray pics to someone in America for their opinion, but they haven't replied yet. Dory is still the same, but no worse. When he does eat its small pieces of dandelion. I've upped him temps as suggested and I'm taking him outside everyday for a walk in the garden. He is a little slow at first, but then perks up a bit, so I'm wondering if you are correct when you suggested it could be the summer blues? When we got home from the vets Monday he decided to be sick poor little guy . I called the vets straight away but he thinks it was due to the stress of the trip to the vets? The little monkey has really had me worried!
Old 16-08-2016, 11:08 PM   #14
Anyfoot
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueginger1984 View Post
Hi everyone, sorry I haven't replied sooner.
All Dorys blood test came back clear which is great news . The vet decided to give him an antibiotic injection, which he had Monday. He will then repeat the injection again if he thinks he needs it. He also said once the antibiotic has had chance to work, he may repeat the xray to see if there is any change. I think this is because I asked if the xray machine was strong enough to give a clear picture (probably a stupid question I know!) But this will be free so it's worth looking. He has sent the xray pics to someone in America for their opinion, but they haven't replied yet. Dory is still the same, but no worse. When he does eat its small pieces of dandelion. I've upped him temps as suggested and I'm taking him outside everyday for a walk in the garden. He is a little slow at first, but then perks up a bit, so I'm wondering if you are correct when you suggested it could be the summer blues? When we got home from the vets Monday he decided to be sick poor little guy . I called the vets straight away but he thinks it was due to the stress of the trip to the vets? The little monkey has really had me worried!
Are you seeing any swollen or watery eyes.
Are you giving this tort any warm soaks at all.
Anyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 11:10 PM   #15
Anyfoot
Incubating

Forgot to ask, how old is this tort?
Old 17-08-2016, 01:09 PM   #16
Blueginger1984
Incubating

Hi Anyfoot, Yes i'm bathing him everyday in warm water. His eyes are ok, no sign of swelling.
Old 17-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #17
Gordon
Adult

You say he perks up a bit when he goes outside can I ask what are you using to check his indoor temps with and what are you using for uv.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #18
Anyfoot
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueginger1984 View Post
Hi Anyfoot, Yes i'm bathing him everyday in warm water. His eyes are ok, no sign of swelling.
Sorry for all the questions. Is he pooping when being soaked. What's his typical diet consist of?
I'm wondering if he has a blockage somewhere, clearer x-rays should show that up.
Old 17-08-2016, 01:35 PM   #19
Anyfoot
Incubating

Most if the time when a tort stops eating and goes lethargic it's temperatures. Too hot or too cold.
Not an expert with this species but I was under the impression the basking spot should be 35/37°c and cool end down to about 26/27°c. Maybe up your basking spot temp. What are you using for UVB source?
As for the activity when he's outside, does it look as though he's seeking out cover to go and hide.
Old 17-08-2016, 02:06 PM   #20
Anyfoot
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
You say he perks up a bit when he goes outside can I ask what are you using to check his indoor temps with and what are you using for uv.
Oops, only just seen your message. I would have left alone knowing someone else was helping.