Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 08-08-2016, 08:20 PM   #1
Blueginger1984
Incubating

Default XRAY Pictures

Hi everyone, so since the beginning of summer Dory hasn't been himself. He has stopped eating and doesn't get up by himself no more. I put him under his light for a warm but he only stays for a few minutes and then goes back to his cold end. I took him to the vets and they checked for worms which was clear. The guy said torts can go off their food sometimes so just to keep bathing him which I'm doing everyday until he picks up. Weeks later he still hadn't improved so it took him to see a different vet. He decided to run some blood tests and take some xrays.

The vets said he doesn't think the xray looks right as his lungs are not showing clearly. The vet said usually they show as black on the xray, Dory isn't showing any signs of difficulty breathing or any discharge from his nose. I'm still waiting for the results of the blood tests. Dory hasn't got any worse but has improved a little eating small amounts every now and then. I haven't got an outdoor enclosure yet as I've been having work done outside, but when I take him outside he is quite active, but when I put him back he goes to bed. His warm end is 29-30 and cold end is 26-27. Anyway here are copies of his xrays, I'd be interested in any advice you could offer?

Sorry for the long post!

Old 08-08-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
Gordon
Adult

Looks ok to me I would try upping the temps in his warm area to 33-35.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:49 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

Poor Dory and what a worry for you. When he's resting do you notice his 'limb-breathing' movements are more noticeable than usual? We all see their little to-ing and fro-ing of their legs when they're sleeping but it's such a slight movement. If it's more exaggerated it could be a sign of more laboured breathing, but by the sounds of it Dory doesn't seem as if he's struggling so I wondered if such a small difference in his breathing could be noticed this way instead. Just clutching at straws really...
I'm no vet but the X-ray at least doesn't show any worrying mass or blockage. If worms have been eliminated too then hopefully something simple and easily-treatable will show up in his blood results.
I agree with Gordon though to up his temps. If there is any kind of infection he'll need to be kept warm day and night. In the meantime, until you get the results, it won't hurt to see if warmer temps perk him up a bit.
Please let us know how he gets on.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

Don't apologise and thanks for sharing. I agree with Gordon Xrays look ok and Im trying to see any visual sign that would help. I agree with vet though that the lungs should show up, in addition the core spinal bit should be darker but I am thinking that's how the image was taken rather than anything wrong. I think this could be a matter of Tortoise being better off outside in the outdoor world and natural light and warmth etc. Even when my little ones are under a light they will choose to sit in the sunlight coming in through the window than the UV light - it is just how it is. I am sure he will be fine if he can get some Vit D on days so try and put him out as much as possible. But he looks fine and nice shell, CB
Old 08-08-2016, 10:59 PM   #5
Blueginger1984
Incubating

Hi guys, thanks so much for the replies and advice. It's just so frustrating not knowing what's wrong. He does do the leg moving when he's still but I don't think it's more than usual, but I will keep a very close eye on that. I'll also up his temps as suggested.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:04 PM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

Good luck. Hopefully he'll be feeling more himself very soon. Has the vet given any indication of when the results will be back?

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:12 PM   #7
burnt toast
Adult

Is Dory a Horsfield? He hasnt got much of a temperature gradient, only a few degrees, so he cant thermoregulate. I would say 26/27 is too warm for a cool end temp for any med, particularly a Russian.

Maybe thats why he picks up outside? If you cant build something can you get him a cage temporarily?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
Anyfoot
Incubating

Hi there blueginger.
I would Bathe this tort twice a day for 20mins in warm water(bridge height depth). If burnt toast is correct he may be dehydrated. Is he more active after and/or during his soak.
What's his diet consist of?
Think it's a case of wait for blood results. If nothing comes back then maybe he's too hot and dehydrated.
If something shows up in the blood test you know there's something else amiss.
Those x-rays don't look very clear to me.
Keep us posted with bloods please. Good luck.
Anyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #9
CherryBrandy
Adult

also repoboost will give him a little pick me up - (water 37 degrees to 40 degrees if tort unwell but if not then a little lower is ideal), pour some of the water over first so its not such a shock and place him in there. I only do 7 minutes each time, but craig suggested 20 mins which is fine also of course, just don't let it get cold - think human in a bath of chilled down water - not nice. If you can't extend to repoboost or critical care formula as they can be expensive try baby Hipp food - carrot organic is good - slop it in his bath but make sure temps are ok. Those lights will strip goodness out of the Tortoise and they can become lethargic especially the UVA element. CB
Old 09-08-2016, 10:10 PM   #10
Blueginger1984
Incubating

Thanks for the replies guys, Dory is a horsefield. I'm currently bathing him everyday. When I took him to the vets he said he didn't look dehydrated which is good. I called the vets today to chase up the blood test results. His kidneys and I think he said bone marrow are fine. The rest haven't come back yet so they are going to chase them up, as they have been sent off somewhere.

Last edited by Blueginger1984; 09-08-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Blueginger1984 is offline   Reply With Quote