Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
ScotiaTheOne
Egg

Default Update on my Star

Hi guys,

After not having posted for a couple of years I thought I'd share an update on my Indian Star that is now 4 years and 9 months old. I named him Izzy since I was told it was most likely female, although difficult to tell at around 5 months, but he has since began flashing us his willy!

So he's now around 6 inches scute length and has been hovering at around 500-520g for a few months now - I'm trying to get him to eat more, any suggestions? Does this sound like a healthy weight/size ratio? You can see some pyramiding in this pic, I've heard stars are really tough to keep smooth, but I'm more concerned about his health than his looks - is this a normal amount of pyramiding?

He sometimes has a bit of a limp in his back left leg, but it doesn't stop him running around - he can scoot about quite fast! It's more of a slight gangsta lean than a limp...

He's been in this viv since I got him - I've always had the sliding doors around 4 inches open at either side for air flow, never had any issues. I've recently had to fix them in place because once he climbed up, pushed open the doors and fell out!

The viv I think is 36" by 18", I know it's small but he gets to roam about my house every day and has a bath most days.

Since I got him his log hide at the cool end of his viv, he barely comes out, and when I put him back in his viv, he always goes straight for it - is this ok? He's certainly getting less UV and heat since I put the hide in, any advice appreciated.

Warm end: ~37C
Cool end: ~25C

Night-time hours 11pm-9am, temp: ~20C

Any feedback would be great, thanks