Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 14-03-2020, 10:22 PM   #11
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
There’s lots of nice weeds coming up now, which is great, but that has me slightly concerned when there have been numerous photos of various countries online spraying the streets, pavements, estates and even people with disinfectant. I worry about the weeds being contaminated if they start doing it here too. I’m so glad I have a fairly good supply of edibles in the garden but got some Mazuri as a back-up. Couldn’t find anyone stocking Nutrazu anymore.
I agree but our council have done nothing to where I got my weeds, its really rough and over grown.
Also the area is where children play so less likely to have been sprayed.
I think its too early for most councils who go tidy up areas to be out and about spraying:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 07:01 AM   #12
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
There’s lots of nice weeds coming up now, which is great, but that has me slightly concerned when there have been numerous photos of various countries online spraying the streets, pavements, estates and even people with disinfectant. I worry about the weeds being contaminated if they start doing it here too. I’m so glad I have a fairly good supply of edibles in the garden but got some Mazuri as a back-up. Couldn’t find anyone stocking Nutrazu anymore.
This is Britain Emma I cant see them wasting money on spray and if they do it will be only in the city's which most weeds will be polluted with car fumes anyway.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #13
emma_mcraf
Adult

Hope so, G. I think you’re right but our local council is so much better then the last. The road sweeper goes past twice a week without fail and the council have a team squiring weed killer and keeping the grassy areas tidy next to the nearest main road. I’d always be cautious before feeding my torts what I’ve picked, which is why I like to be as self-sufficient in the garden as much as possible.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #14
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Hope so, G. I think you’re right but our local council is so much better then the last. The road sweeper goes past twice a week without fail and the council have a team squiring weed killer and keeping the grassy areas tidy next to the nearest main road. I’d always be cautious before feeding my torts what I’ve picked, which is why I like to be as self-sufficient in the garden as much as possible.
You must be well posh to get a road sweeper and weed control.
All we get in our village is a postman bin men and 50 million delivery Van's.
Oh and all the bombers etc flying over and making it smell nice.
So on a sort of plus side all the weeds are ok to pull as long as nobody has pulled them up to feed the sheep in the paddock in front of my place which is very annoying as there is a patch of the biggest broad leafed plantains I have ever seen and no matter how many times I try they will not transplant.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #15
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
I agree but our council have done nothing to where I got my weeds, its really rough and over grown.
Also the area is where children play so less likely to have been sprayed.
I think its too early for most councils who go tidy up areas to be out and about spraying:0)
I’m sure you’re right, Sandy. I’m just glad of the weed seeds I sowed in their enclosures and in the weed patch in the autumn as they’ve done well with all the rain we’ve had.
I’m always glad when my lavatera comes into flower as it’s such a brilliant feed and produces flowers after flowers. Fair few months until then though.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 15-03-2020, 02:15 PM   #16
sandy
Adult

Quote:
I’m sure you’re right, Sandy. I’m just glad of the weed seeds I sowed in their enclosures and in the weed patch in the autumn as they’ve done well with all the rain we’ve had.
I’m always glad when my lavatera comes into flower as it’s such a brilliant feed and produces flowers after flowers. Fair few months until then though.
I am with Gorden, binmen, postmen and hundreds of white vans, I think our main road is a white van car park:0(

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 02:18 PM   #17
tortydat
Sub Adult

I'm the same with binmen, postman and lots of delivery drivers no street lights either. xx
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 03:52 PM   #18
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
You must be well posh to get a road sweeper and weed control.
All we get in our village is a postman bin men and 50 million delivery Van's.
Oh and all the bombers etc flying over and making it smell nice.
So on a sort of plus side all the weeds are ok to pull as long as nobody has pulled them up to feed the sheep in the paddock in front of my place which is very annoying as there is a patch of the biggest broad leafed plantains I have ever seen and no matter how many times I try they will not transplant.
You know me Gordon, I’m very posh!
We are pretty rural here so mostly it’s tractors and agricultural machinery going by, horse riders and the local gypsy goes by with his horse twice a year when he moves location, but the road sweeper chap goes by while I’m usually sat eating my breakfast and the chap who maintains the grassy area usually has a chat while he eats his lunch on the bench when I’ve walked by with the dogs. He keeps it looking nice but a lot of people walk on that grass to let their dogs toilet, which drives me mad.
I’m on great terms with the Hermes delivery chap. Even have his mobile number in case I want him to leave any parcels somewhere safe.
I’d love a paddock full of broad-leaved plantain! I have found I can transplant it for a season but it never comes up the following year.

Old 22-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #19
CherryBrandy
Adult

they are really stepping up all the drivers maybe they can be the 5th emergency services - white van men. It feels like one of those zombie films at the moment....weirdly quiet and no one around. I am liking it for that, CB
Old 22-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #20
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
they are really stepping up all the drivers maybe they can be the 5th emergency services - white van men. It feels like one of those zombie films at the moment....weirdly quiet and no one around. I am liking it for that, CB
A girl after my own heart. I’m happiest at home isolating myself for much of the time anyway, so it’ll be no hardship. Are you in the high risk group, Clare? I am as is hubby due to the reasons behind our flu jabs.
I’ll be quite relieved when everyone is home from work and able to isolate. At the moment it’s very changeable regarding funerals due to the restrictions. If we end up like Italy, the military are dealing with transport from hospital to crematoriums but I think Hubby can work from home rather than the office as they’re not meeting families face-to-face to make arrangements now, so it can be done from home.
My eldest son is already working from his home, my daughter is almost set up to, my second son s a technician so it will be dictated by incoming work and the governments decisions and my youngest is home-based with me anyway.
I think it won’t be long until the government implements lockdown restrictions.
I will be welcoming them.