Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 06-02-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
Suze65
Adult

Default Setting up a small indoor enclosure

As I am setting up an indoor enclosure, ready for my babies coming out of hibernation later this week, I thought I would post what I have done for any new members ( we have a few) who are new to tortoise keeping. So here goes.
First I have mixed one brick of coco fibre ( one bucket full) and one / two buckets of top soil , I don't add any sand, there is no need, and it can irritate the eyes.

I have added a few basic things, food slate ( a tyle) water dish and hide ( upturned plant pot) I have made the hide end nice and deep , so I have pushed the pot nice and deep so they can dig down.
For a small set up I prefer to uses and strip uv and ordinary household halogen bulbs for the basking spots.

This is just a basic set up, you can add more enrichment.
Please add any ideas to this thread, the more the better.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
Merlin M
Adult

That looks fantastic Suze! Like the stones round the water to try and keep it clean... Great idea to post I think it is very handy! I have recently switched from standard spot bulbs to halogen they are good (and don't fail as often as the cheap spots!)
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin M View Post
That looks fantastic Suze! Like the stones round the water to try and keep it clean... Great idea to post I think it is very handy! I have recently switched from standard spot bulbs to halogen they are good (and don't fail as often as the cheap spots!)
Thanks Merlin, it is very basic, nothing fancy, but hopefully it will show new keepers where to start. We are often asked about extra bedding under the hide, as you can see , it's just top soil, they don't need bedding , like mammals do, torts will dig into the soil, and this helps them to regulate body temp. Although I know some people do add spagnum moss for hatchlings, to create humidity.
Also Note there is no slate under the basking spots, as this could over heat and burn the tort, I find that my little ones love the warmth from the soil.
You can add alsorts of enrichment e.g pebbles, stick bridges ( bendy ) so they could be flat or upright , plants , try to give different textures .
Any ideas welcome .

Old 06-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

Nice job, Suze.
When are the babies coming out of their hibernation? Bet you can't wait to see them. x

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Nice job, Suze.
When are the babies coming out of their hibernation? Bet you can't wait to see them. x
Thanks Emma, I might get them up on Wednesday, just waiting for the top soil to come up to room temp, it's a bit cold as the bag was outside. I am excited, I can't wait any longer . I will post pics once they are up and running ( not literally)

Old 06-02-2017, 06:25 PM   #6
Jan W
Sub Adult

I used this type of pen when mine were little.

At one end I put a pieced of hardboard with two holes in the top to thread some string through to loop over the wire. That way they could go behind it - so only went half way across the pen. (Gosh hope that makes sense).

I had a large gap in the top too, so it was useful to have a mercury vapour lamp overhead, to one end of the pen. This was recommended by the Tortoise Trust at the time. I'm still a bit confused as to the current thinking on light and heat, but am I right that most people are going for separate heat and UV light now?
Old 06-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #7
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
Thanks Emma, I might get them up on Wednesday, just waiting for the top soil to come up to room temp, it's a bit cold as the bag was outside. I am excited, I can't wait any longer . I will post pics once they are up and running ( not literally)
Great, I'll look forward to seeing them again.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 07-02-2017, 07:00 AM   #8
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
I used this type of pen when mine were little.

At one end I put a pieced of hardboard with two holes in the top to thread some string through to loop over the wire. That way they could go behind it - so only went half way across the pen. (Gosh hope that makes sense).

I had a large gap in the top too, so it was useful to have a mercury vapour lamp overhead, to one end of the pen. This was recommended by the Tortoise Trust at the time. I'm still a bit confused as to the current thinking on light and heat, but am I right that most people are going for separate heat and UV light now?
Mmmmm you've lost me a bit there Jan, I'm trying to imagine your piece of hardboard and holes and string, but I'm not getting it, interesting tho.
As for a mercury vapour bulb in a small set up, personally I think they can be too hot for small torts in a small set up, I've found this system works better.but I do use MV bulbs for my adults in a bigger set up.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:01 PM   #9
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

A similar idea but I started with a viv and got the toolbox out! There isn't much of the viv left.

I have two 24 watt Arcadia flood lamps in use but one of them isn't putting out a lot of uvb these days. Those are the ones with the tinfoil looking trays. The heat is supplied by a 42 watt spotbulb under the black shade.

The other lamp is an arcadia 13 watt Jungle Dawn - no uvb just useful LED white light. The lamps are not all on at the same time but I believe in lots of light.

The large slate isn't under the heat source and I've got it propped up at one end so Pumpkin can go under there. He has a couple of other hides and a chunk of wood.

It's not as tidy looking as Suze's cage set-up but by using cheap bits of wood and a butchered viv I can change things about easily and drill holes without fear of messing with the appearance...

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 08-02-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:40 PM   #10
emma_mcraf
Adult

Pumpkin looks so teeny there, Jonathan.
Clever how you adapted it from a viv. You certainly do like lighting for your enclosures.
Shares in the electricity board I presume?