Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 16-07-2020, 10:26 PM   #1
Charles S
Egg

Default Inactive recently, any suggestions?

Hi All,

I have posted a few times on here about my Hermann tort, just looking for any feedback on my setup, as the tort has been rather inactive recently. She will be up and awake before I feed her (searching around for food as usual) but once she's eaten she'll retreat to her hide and I won't see her again for most of the day quite often. Initially I thought maybe it wasn't bright enough as the shed she's in doesn't get the most amount of light due to the way it faces, so I installed a led light pole above the table, seemed to make a difference for a while but now not so much.

Could it be lack of UV? She's much more active when outdoors, weather permitting, she has a combo UV and heat mercury vapor bulb from Arcadia, would a second UV bulb make a difference?

Temps are usually what I'd expct her to be happy with, 21-23C in the cool end, with around 28-30C under the heat lamp, although the rocks under it get warmer as they store the heat. The shed is always heated to above 21C and in summer it can get up to 25C in the day.

She's been eating fine, more than fine, she's so greedy lol

Any suggestions are much appreciated, I'll add some pics of the setup here.

Thanks
Charles

https://ibb.co/sQDs5M7
https://ibb.co/bdbjQmc
Charles S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 01:31 AM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

Hello Charles, a couple of ideas: I think the ambient temperatures are a bit on the high side, whilst basking isn't hot enough ( 32/34c) for a Hermanns.

I personally would remove all those rocks they might be getting so hot they are uncomfortable for her.

How big is said tort please? (just an idea if shes hatchling, sub adult, adult?) Has she been checked for parasites recently? (this can sometimes cause them to be less active & hide a lot)
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 10:35 AM   #3
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

I would suggest trying to get her outside 24/7 in a safe secure enclosure for the rest of the summer months.

The shed must be terribly hot and stuffy for her. No wonder she is always 'nodding off'!
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 11:09 AM   #4
sandy
Adult

Agreed she should be outside:0)
If you have to have her inside, then put the UV/heat on a timer, as the outside temps are high so inside it will be worse. If the UV/heat is off for a couple of hours midday it will help. All mine outside are hiding away during this time as its too hot (does depend on where you live I am in the SE).
But outside is best:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 12:29 PM   #5
Charles S
Egg

Thanks for the input everyone! Going to try and hit all the replies at once.

In regards to the basking temperature, I'm not sure how to make it any hotter, the lamp is 100W already and is as close as I can get it without it being in the dangerous UV range, maybe I should try a different bulb? It's an Arcadia D3, got it due to the recommendations from other owners.

What are we aiming for ambient? I've always kept it on the warmer side as I expected that'd be preferred over cooler, since it has to be heated throughout the night also.

She's around 12, so an adult.

When I say she's in a shed, it's actually my office, fully insulated, windows, flooring etc. So it's not much like a shed lol

Didn't realise that she'd be good to stay outdoors 24/7 at this moment in time, she was a month or so ago when its was very warm here. I'm in the midlands if that helps. Any idea of an outdoor temperature that I can use as a baseline? If it's going to get below 12C I won't let her stay out over night typically.

I do love having her outside as she has a nice big enclosure with lots of plants to bury under and explore, also the UV indoors in not even close to outdoors so whenever I can I try to get her out.

Thanks again, look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Charles
Old 17-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles S View Post
Thanks for the input everyone! Going to try and hit all the replies at once.

In regards to the basking temperature, I'm not sure how to make it any hotter, the lamp is 100W already and is as close as I can get it without it being in the dangerous UV range, maybe I should try a different bulb? It's an Arcadia D3, got it due to the recommendations from other owners.

What are we aiming for ambient? I've always kept it on the warmer side as I expected that'd be preferred over cooler, since it has to be heated throughout the night also.

She's around 12, so an adult.

When I say she's in a shed, it's actually my office, fully insulated, windows, flooring etc. So it's not much like a shed lol

Didn't realise that she'd be good to stay outdoors 24/7 at this moment in time, she was a month or so ago when its was very warm here. I'm in the midlands if that helps. Any idea of an outdoor temperature that I can use as a baseline? If it's going to get below 12C I won't let her stay out over night typically.

I do love having her outside as she has a nice big enclosure with lots of plants to bury under and explore, also the UV indoors in not even close to outdoors so whenever I can I try to get her out.

Thanks again, look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Charles

She will get more UV outside on a dull day than we can give them artificially:0)
Once my tortoises have warmed up they go out (their choice) at temps around 12c, not on a damp day of course but if its bright they are out:0)

Old 17-07-2020, 01:45 PM   #7
Gordon
Adult

Get her outside 24 hrs make sure she has a hide to go in at night and make sure she can't escape.
Mine are out all the time till November when they get put down for hibernating.
Even if its wet and not sunny she will be fine.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #8
Charles S
Egg

Well that has definitely opened my eyes! She will be getting a lot more outdoor time then. I was always worried she would end up hibernating herself below 10C because that's what the fridge method said to keep them below.

I'll get her checked at the vets for any parasites or worms for peace of mind.

Thanks all
Charles
Old 17-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #9
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles S View Post
Well that has definitely opened my eyes! She will be getting a lot more outdoor time then. I was always worried she would end up hibernating herself below 10C because that's what the fridge method said to keep them below.

I'll get her checked at the vets for any parasites or worms for peace of mind.

Thanks all
Charles
Tortoises start to bury down when the days are much shorter, mine will gradually go to bed earlier and earlier, also get up later. Thats when you need to think more, shorter days:0)
You really dont have to worry to much 10c is quite high for hibernaton. They are just a lot slower.

Old 19-07-2020, 11:58 AM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

yes so much easier for ones living outside, its natural progression to hibernation also as they will tell you when they are ready not the other artificial way.
If tortoises go outside then you place them back indoors they sulk. They do ! Tortoises love activity despite what the books say. They love to roam and eat and sleep and look and hide and explore, if they have had a taster of that then placed back inside 4 walls - they will sulk ! Especially the males !! bit like all of us in lockdown.
Don't lockdown your tortoises ! CB

Tags
husbandry, inactive, lighting