Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 06-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #11
CherryBrandy
Adult

Horsfields are a fantastic tortoise for a new keeper. Safe dry and warm is the go. Security is an absolute must with them as unlike some other species they dig and climb like no other. if still after a pancake though they are slightly different in temperament and maybe environmental requirements, CB
Old 07-09-2016, 02:18 AM   #12
Skilzo
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
I changed the size of their enclosures as they got older. The first one had sides that were only 4" high and we quickly added an opaque perspex to make it about 9". Now they are past 8 years their new home indoors is an upturned wardrobe, so sides must be about 18". Whether they need this height, I don't think so. We have put wood up all around their outdoor pen which is about 18"too. My measurements are all a bit of guesswork, based on making sure they cannot see out, otherwise they constantly try to get out.

There may be some better advice offered for you. I do tend to go a bit over the top too!
I know the feeling of going over the top!!! Its the best way to go and thanks for the reply
Skilzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:19 AM   #13
Skilzo
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
Horsfields are a fantastic tortoise for a new keeper. Safe dry and warm is the go. Security is an absolute must with them as unlike some other species they dig and climb like no other. if still after a pancake though they are slightly different in temperament and maybe environmental requirements, CB
I have just always had my heart set on pancake tortoise but will take that into consideration thank you
Skilzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:37 PM   #14
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
Good point on the pancakes requiring different environment.

Graeme, my torts are just as CB described. Love to climb, dig everything and one of them eats nearly everything in sight! So obviously my high sides are because they would just climb over given half a chance.