Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 22-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #1
jandh
Hatched

Default Tortoise can't walk straight

I've just had a friend message me worried about her tortoise , she said he has not been right since waking up from hibernation , she said he dad found him on his back awake in April when he had woke up , ever since he has been awake he cannot walk in a straight line he walks in circles ....(I've asked her to send me a video ) she said he is eating we'll , but cannot walk to eat his food ...has just started to eat on his own after quiet a while being hand fed ,,,,,his had baths is pooing ok ....his eyes are clear , I asked if head looked normall shape eg any ear swelling , she said all ok , but he just walks in circles , his legs are fine as we'll , any ideas peeps before she gets him to vets I'm going to recommend .
Old 22-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandh View Post
I've just had a friend message me worried about her tortoise , she said he has not been right since waking up from hibernation , she said he dad found him on his back awake in April when he had woke up , ever since he has been awake he cannot walk in a straight line he walks in circles ....(I've asked her to send me a video ) she said he is eating we'll , but cannot walk to eat his food ...has just started to eat on his own after quiet a while being hand fed ,,,,,his had baths is pooing ok ....his eyes are clear , I asked if head looked normall shape eg any ear swelling , she said all ok , but he just walks in circles , his legs are fine as we'll , any ideas peeps before she gets him to vets I'm going to recommend .
Best get a good tortoise vet on this one, it could be a lot of things. But needs to be sorted soon.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 09:57 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

jandh, if you look at one of my very old posts I had exactly the same years ago, no one could account for it really and I had it once and never since. I am not saying there isn't an under lying condition but my Tortoise did the same , woke up and walked in circles. I hand fed also...what I think it was was tortoise anorexia...its a recognised condition and I think it is where the tortoise was hibernated too long. ie the chemical reaction took place to wake them up and get them feeding but that didn't happen so they can become disorientated. Mine is fine and back to biting feet but she was very very slow all that year, and I went back to periodic hand feeding CB
Old 22-06-2016, 11:38 PM   #4
burnt toast
Adult

Where did he hibernate? Is it possible the temperature got too low? I know blind torts turn in circles. I have two blind torts, neither of these do it but they have been blind from birth. I think its something which occurs in sighted torts who then loose their sight for instance to "frosting". As its obviously something new to them and they are disorientated.

I suggest lots of hydration and an appointment with a tortoise vet asap
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote