Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 11-02-2007, 08:07 PM   #21
wizzasmum

**CITES Sue only deals with importing and exporting, not with sales in the country. rmetin would have to contact the relevent Turkish authorities for the petshop.
I also see I'm not experienced enough to deal with this, so maybe the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx discussion group would be best.

Danny**

Hi Dan
When I was in Turkey the CITES were called in to remove tortoises from one place to another nearby. They don't only deal with export/import. having said that they do seem to be a law unto themselves over there and considering their status, as rmeti says, they are not kind to animals. I will post you the details on the terrible things that happened after my visit some years back.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #22
rmetin
Egg

Dear Danny,
Not only my trying, also with my animal lover friends, we all together try something to do for these poor animals in pet shops... However, in Turkey it is really difficult.. Because there are a few people who really love and take care of animals.. Government is not very interested in these topics

Can you think that in Ankara in Mamak dumping ground, many dog corpses were found that were invaded by humans.. My mind, my heart can not accept this violent... We protested, walked in Ankara thousands of people, but government still does not care this event.. In fact, some people jeered because we did something for ANIMALS... They think that animals are created for only humans and they do not have any feelings

This topic is a huge and important topic.. However I can say to you that there is also somebody in Turkey who tries to make animalsh appy ..

Danny, I understood that I gave much A vitamine to smaller one but nevertheless I should use the antibiotics that you advice, should not I???
rmetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #23
wizzasmum

Hi rmetin
I think Turkey is an absooultely beautiful country and I try to visist as often as possible. My friend lives in Adrasan. near to Olympos. It is a very beatiful area. Last time we went white water raftin in the mountains near to Antalya. However I could not live there with the laws as they stand. It would be too difficult for me after spending my life in UK. If things changed I would be there like a shot.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:00 PM   #24
rmetin
Egg

Yes, Turkey is a beautiful country, three sides of it arounded by seas, the four seasons can be lived, the weather, the forests, the history.. There are many things for telling about its importance and beauty..
Atatürk for example.. I love him.. He is the biggest chance of Turkey.. However my complaint is only about some people in our country.. Their mind is dark.. They need education for learning respect and love.. Some of them are against to our republic as well.. These people make our country bad.. Therefore, it will be very difficult to make animals happy unless some people stop killing animals, hate them and educate themselves
Old 12-02-2007, 02:01 AM   #25
rmetin
Egg

Dear friends,
I can not sleep because of worrying about my tortoises I am afraid of loosing them...
Thank you very much for your answers.. I put the same questions to some forums as well. In one of them, a friend said to me that it looks like septicaemia
As the vet said it is similar with gangrene... If it is septicaemia, does this mean that my tortoise will die at last? Can not I do anything? It eats, drinks water and walks... But 6 days ago, it was worse..

The smaller one opened one eye... It did not eat plants at night Sue said that it may still die; will it die slowly or suddenly because of much A vitamine
How can I understand that it becomes worse? For example, it did not eat meal and it gave less reaction when I took it, all of these mean that it is dying
Old 12-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #26
rmetin
Egg

Dear Stells,
Thank you very much for this photo.. Do you think that my tortoise have the same apperance? If you can send me more photos, I will be thankful to you...
If it is difficult to put there, you can send my email rbmetin@yahoo.com.. Thank you again..
Old 13-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #27
piglet
Adult

I'm Sorry i missed this post , but I will say thank you very much Dan for your through and speedy advise , I couldn't fault it ,
Rmertin I really think you did an honourable thing taking on these two tiny tortoises, I know it encourages the trade buying from such places but sometimes its a must or loose them to a slow misrable death I wish you all the luck in the world and I'm so glad you found us and were able to get good honest advise from all parties concerned .
well done group for a very supportive thread
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #28
rmetin
Egg

Dear Stells,
Firstly thank you very much again for the photos Your tortoise looks like very healthy and happy

And all friends who helped me and wished health to my small babies, thank you very much too..
I have good news

I forgot to say their names, smaller one: Cambo, bigger one: Kumpir

Last week, according to Danny's advice( you are a perfect person, I saw all your babies photos in the forum, they are very sweet and beautiful), I bought Neomycin. Therefore Cambo became comfortable, he started to walk and eat again.. Now, he has no problem, all the skin was peeled. And there is no red spot on its neck
He is very throaty too..

Kumpir has also no problem. It became so active. It walks fast, eats fast I learned an antibiotic called gentamycin according to Jade( from herman tortoise forum). It is for septicaemia. I injected a small dose for three times. However I can not understand whether the green spots under his shell is natural or because of septicaemia.. If it is septicaemia, will it die slowly? Because now there is no problem about its actions and apperance except the dark spots under the shell..

Another problem is Cambo's shell. Under the shell, there appears some spots too.. Please help me about these spots. I can not understand the meaning of them..
I put the recent photos of them...

Both of them:

(left one is Kumpir, right one is Cambo)

Cambo:

the pink spots, some point purple and dark spots under the shell:

Kumpir:

the green dark spots under the shell:

Old 18-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #29
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

I'm so glad they are both doing well Rabia Kumpir's plastron is just fine. The greenish grey color you are seeing is perfectly normal and he will probably get darker as he gets older.
Cambo's plastron is a little red still from the vitamin A overdose, but I'd like you to keep a close eye on it. I know it sounds strange, but do any of the spots on the plastron smell bad?

Danny
Old 18-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #30
rmetin
Egg

Dear Danny,
I am very happy too about Kumpir because our vet said to me that it would die, there was no chance for living.... But nearly one month ago I bought it and it became much healtier and happier..

About Cambo, I smelled it Actually, this was not for the first time I often kissed them during their treatment, and while crying, tell them "please do not die"... Therefore I knew their smell.. Both of them has similar smell. There is no bad smell on their spots.. But the pink spots under its front leg's shell was here when I first bought it.. So they might be not because of much a vitamine.. Only the black, purple point spots were appeared after the first week..