Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Shelled Warriors Shop, Classifieds and Rehoming > Classifieds > Wanted

Closed Thread

Old 19-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
walker-1234
Egg

Default horsfield tortoise female wanted

hi my wife is after a female horsfield as she as a male horsfield about 3/4 years old and wants a partner for him i live in rochdale greater manchester i will collect anywere within 100 mile or so thanks
Old 20-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Hope you dont mind me adding. Male horsfield are horrible when it comes to mating, they circle the female and will bite her legs and sometimes draw blood and they dont stop.

It is advised to have at least 3-4 females to one male if you wish to keep them togther as a group. If you wish to get one female i would not keep them with a male unless for breeding for a few hours until the job it is done.

Males do mature faster than females and can cause some real damage to teh female if she is not of breeding size.

I hope you find a female, they are quite hard to come accross

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Old 20-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
walker-1234
Egg

Default horsfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
Hope you dont mind me adding. Male horsfield are horrible when it comes to mating, they circle the female and will bite her legs and sometimes draw blood and they dont stop.

It is advised to have at least 3-4 females to one male if you wish to keep them togther as a group. If you wish to get one female i would not keep them with a male unless for breeding for a few hours until the job it is done.

Males do mature faster than females and can cause some real damage to teh female if she is not of breeding size.

I hope you find a female, they are quite hard to come accross
thanks for your reply i have got 2 tortoise tables as we have looked into breeding a little bit what age is the best to go for a female
Old 20-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Excellent

Older the better really if you wish to breed, breeing females weigh about 700g plus.

But you could always get a younger one and grow her on, thats what i did 3 years ago and now they are laying eggs for me.

Good luck.
Oh look on preloved they sometimes come up for sale

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Old 20-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
walker-1234
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
Excellent

Older the better really if you wish to breed, breeing females weigh about 700g plus.

But you could always get a younger one and grow her on, thats what i did 3 years ago and now they are laying eggs for me.

Good luck.
Oh look on preloved they sometimes come up for sale
thanks for the addvice i think we are going to do the same get some young torts
Closed Thread