Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 05-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #11
davidoneill
Egg

I do apologise if this shows up more than once my computer is doing very strange things. Thank you all for your advice ☺. However I have a bit of a problem I have overlooked the depth of the table so when I put 4 inch of substrate in it makes the sides only 2.5 inches high. Will this cause me a problem so early on as I don't want any escapes
davidoneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:12 PM   #12
emma_mcraf
Adult

My tables are 12'' deep and I still have an overhanging lip around the edges to prevent climbers from escaping. Can you add a lip to yours? It does the trick and stops little corner climbers in particular from getting out.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:21 PM   #13
davidoneill
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
My tables are 12'' deep and I still have an overhanging lip around the edges to prevent climbers from escaping. Can you add a lip to yours? It does the trick and stops little corner climbers in particular from getting out.
Yes I will be putting a overhanging lip on tomorrow to see how that goes and will look at making it a bit higher over the coming week's
Dave
Old 06-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #14
davidoneill
Egg

Hi This is my updated pictures of my table I am just moving the position of the lights to try and get them correct is there anything that you recommend I change? Think I may get a smaller water bowl as this one looks a bit big
Thanks
Dave

Old 06-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #15
alley cat
Adult

Looking good, the only thing is how high is the uvb? From the photo angle it looks quite high.
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #16
davidoneill
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
Looking good, the only thing is how high is the uvb? From the photo angle it looks quite high.
Oops yep I just put it up there so I didn't break it lol. I will drop it down tomorrow. What height is recommended is it about 15 inches from there shell?
Thanks
Dave
Old 06-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #17
alley cat
Adult

I am not sure as I don't use them but I am sure someone will help.
It probably tells you on the packaging.
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #18
emma_mcraf
Adult

I think the recommendation is 12''. Good to see the lip around the edge. Hopefully that'll prevent escapees until you get around to raising the sides.
I'm sure you can't wait to get them in there now.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 06-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #19
davidoneill
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
I think the recommendation is 12''. Good to see the lip around the edge. Hopefully that'll prevent escapees until you get around to raising the sides.
I'm sure you can't wait to get them in there now.
Yes i cannot wait, I've wanted one since I was a little boy but never got around to it. Sadly we had to have our dog put to sleep in October and my 6yr old was very upset so she asked if she could have a tortoise and I said no we can have 2 lol so we are both happy
Old 06-03-2015, 06:25 PM   #20
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoneill View Post
Yes i cannot wait, I've wanted one since I was a little boy but never got around to it. Sadly we had to have our dog put to sleep in October and my 6yr old was very upset so she asked if she could have a tortoise and I said no we can have 2 lol so we are both happy
It was always my childhood dream too but I was never allowed one.
I'm really sorry about your dog. That must have been hard for you all. I'm sure the whole family are going to love your new torts. Can't wait to see photos of them.