Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 01-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #1
CherryBrandy
Adult

Default Tickle & scratch

One of my spur goes under a wooden branch and sticks his bottom in the air and scratches the top of his shell against it from side to side. Today he stretched as far up as possible on his hind legs and did same wiggle under my bicycle peddle . I stroked the top of his shell and he went mad like a dog wagging his tail except his shell / motion was mad from side to side like scratching an itch. I have seen this before but wonder if anyone else has noticed it? Do you think their shells get itchy?
Is he telling me Strictly is nearly on ? Please don't say I am the only one and have a weird tortoise that wiggles when scratched ! CB
Old 01-09-2015, 10:35 PM   #2
vikki
Hatched

Nope you are not the only one both of mine will do it if in the mood for a shell scratch - it is quite difficult though when they are very small as you can very easily just push them around instead I know of a couple of aladabra who dance if you give them a hard shell scratch
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:52 PM   #3
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

One of my male hermannis does something very much like it if I gently mist him with a plant misting spray. I discovered this by accident when doing some spraying and he is the only one of them to react in that way.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:11 AM   #4
Rowan
Sub Adult

Both my horsfields do this. I call it the bum waggle!

I'm not sure if they like it or not? But if having a wonder around and something touches their shell in that area, they don't move away they stay there and waggle.

I did think that "Tickle & Scratch" were the names of torts when I saw the title of this thread!!!
Old 02-09-2015, 08:31 AM   #5
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
One of my spur goes under a wooden branch and sticks his bottom in the air and scratches the top of his shell against it from side to side. Today he stretched as far up as possible on his hind legs and did same wiggle under my bicycle peddle . I stroked the top of his shell and he went mad like a dog wagging his tail except his shell / motion was mad from side to side like scratching an itch. I have seen this before but wonder if anyone else has noticed it? Do you think their shells get itchy?
Is he telling me Strictly is nearly on ? Please don't say I am the only one and have a weird tortoise that wiggles when scratched ! CB
They can do this when it rains, or if its hot and you spray a hose pipe over them. I think its a bit like walking through long grass to remove parasites etc from body and shell.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Both my horsfields do this. I call it the bum waggle!
I did think that "Tickle & Scratch" were the names of torts when I saw the title of this thread!!!
ha they are good names to have ! I have tried with my horfields and they just look bemused. This isn't unusual!

What Sandy says makes sense, but do you think their shell gets itchy though? Papa Un came running over to ram me out the way and then seventh heaven with the tickle and scratch ! Amazing if that is evolution....CB
Old 02-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #7
julie7
Incubating

My marginateds do this to, they do it against there pots or if anything is in there way
julie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
GemJam
Incubating

I found out my little tort loves a tickle too! I was cleaning her shell with a soft toothbrush and went side to side on her rear and she wiggled her bottom and loved it!
So yours is not the only one.

1 Hermanns Tortoise - Hettie
GemJam is offline   Reply With Quote