Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 18-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #11
skewbald
Hatched

Lovely photo on your guys in the garden. Yes keep the pics coming! We love 'em!

0.0.1 leopard tortoise
skewbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #12
bruceleetortoise

i agree keep the pics coming, i never get bored of looking at pics of turtles and tortoises, lets see more of both yours and also the lake ones.....
Old 18-06-2007, 01:49 PM   #13
Graham
Hatched

OK, here's one of Passion on some floating vegetation...

...and Temple hiding in the duckweed...

...and one of Milligan when I first got him, he's in quarantine here before I put him in the main pond with the girls...

Temple was very timid when I got her, hence hiding in the duckweed, but now she's become very bold and both she and Passion will swim right up to me if I sit on the side of the pond, and I can pick them up out of the water with no struggling. Milligan is rather shy still, he hangs around at the back when it's feeding time, so I have to make sure to throw some food his way, otherwise the greedy girls eat it all! But he's getting better and will sometimes continue basking while I'm working around the pond, the girls couldn't care less of course, they just want their sun!
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #14
laine21
Hatchling

Your pond and terrapins look great, do you have fish in there? If so do they bother or try to eat the fish or do the fish try to eat them? We have a 32 x 10 foot pond, naturalised with lots of fish, plants and other life. What do you do with them during winter?
Laraine
laine21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #15
Graham
Hatched

No, we have fish but they are in another pond, the terrapin pond was built specially and they have it to themselves. One day the Red Belly will probably outgrow it and then she'll go in the fish pond, but by that time the fish should be quite safe with her as she should be entirely veggie by then.
In the local World of Water they have several adult RES and YBS in a large pond which they share with some large Koi and Goldfish, they never bother the fish, in fact they even ignored a sick fish that was floating on the surface when I went there a couple of months ago.
I've only had the Red Belly and the male Southern Painted a short time, so the issue of winter hasn't arisen with them. Until now the female Southern Painted has stayed outdoors usually until November, last winter until almost December as it was mild, then I brought her indoors and warmed her up gradually and put here back out in March.
Danny has advised me that my pond is deep enough and our winters mild enough that they could stay out all winter though, and I'm contemplating that for next winter, may chicken out though, have to see!
Old 19-06-2007, 10:30 AM   #16
KearasNana
Sub Adult

Wow what lovely pictures!

I love seeing them looking so happy and natural!
Old 19-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #17
yakface77
Hatched

Danny has advised me that my pond is deep enough and our winters mild enough that they could stay out all winter though, and I'm contemplating that for next winter, may chicken out though, have to see![/quote]

Yep, i feel the same. Slightly reluctant at the moment. If you do keep them out all winter will you put more mud at the bottom, or something that they can bury into ?
1.1.2 Florida Cooter turtles
0.1.1 Red Eared Slider Turtle
0.1.0 Mississippi Map Turtle
yakface77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #18
Graham
Hatched

Yes, at the moment the pond has nothing at the bottom, for hibernation I'd put a load of lily roots and stuff in there for the winter, and I'd monitor the temp at the bottom just to be sure. Luckily it doesn't often get cold very suddenly, and you usually get a bit of warning when it does, I think I'd probably put a cover over the pond too to stop it freezing over.
Old 19-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #19
dizzywend
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to dizzywend

All of these pics are fantastic!
Keep em coming!

Wendy
dizzywend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 03:19 PM   #20
niamherrity
Adult