Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
CherryBrandy
Adult

Default who told me about marshmallows?

OMG , had the throat from hell and tried everything, , echinea thing, tonic (without the gin) as in A Tonic, lozenges, manuka honey, paracetemol, salt water, steam inhalation, fizzy effervescent....warm water and honey, advocaat with lemonade disorano with coke, cherry brandy (35%) bit of cola, captain morgans with coke, ruby port with lemon, Taylors reserve with real lemon (vit C), nothing touched it. sooooo sore and then someone said try Marshmallows....!? don't be silly I thought. But elderly mum went and bought me some and bobs your uncle. I can't believe they worked !! and apparently they were made sometime in Egypt (thank -you Gordon!!!) hundreds of years ago for sore throats ! How knew ??
Old 11-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

I never knew that and I love marshmallows! I think I'll have to have a few each day just to keep the sore throats at bay.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
Stellanne
Hatchling

CB, I loved how you started on the natural remedies and gradually worked through to the hard stuff!!!
I am going to try the marshmallows..... Could it be the gelatine and sugar coating your throat that eases it.
Marshmallows are easy to make as they are basically whisked egg whites. You could add your own brandy/whisky/rum flavourings!!!! X x x. Hugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanne View Post
CB, I loved how you started on the natural remedies and gradually worked through to the hard stuff!!!
I am going to try the marshmallows..... Could it be the gelatine and sugar coating your throat that eases it.
Marshmallows are easy to make as they are basically whisked egg whites. You could add your own brandy/whisky/rum flavourings!!!! X x x. Hugs x x x
Now that gives me lots of good ideas!!!!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Now that gives me lots of good ideas!!!!
oh you are on to something there Stellanne, reminds me when I use to coat a celery stick in cheese toast it under the grill and then dip it in malabu! bliss
I don't think its the gelatin etc , though that definitely would coat the throat apparently according to the Egyptians it was to do with the plant extract. I looked at the ingredients and couldn't see anything obvious but maybe it is psychological , though I tried the usual suspects today and as soon as I had my first marshmallow it took the pain off. it is really weird. CB !
Old 12-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #6
Stellanne
Hatchling

I think I might try them tomorrow as a prevention measure x x x. Hugs x
Old 13-10-2015, 08:43 PM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

let me know if you think the pink ones taste different to the white cause I cant taste the difference. My brother and I use to play a game when we were children where we had to guess foods blindfolded until he put mustard in the game. CB
Old 14-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #8
Pussygalore
Adult

isn't there a marsh mallow plant? maybe the original ones were made from that, maybe the plant is known for medicinal reasons? I know they're not made from any plants now though.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #9
Stellanne
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
isn't there a marsh mallow plant? maybe the original ones were made from that, maybe the plant is known for medicinal reasons? I know they're not made from any plants now though.
There is a marshmallow plant and I think in the days gone by the root of this plant had some form of medical cure for sore throats etc. My culpeppers herbalist book says anyway.
Seems something has been lost in the translation and our thoughts turn to fluffy sweets rather than boiled flower roots!!!!! But hey, whatever makes you feel better. I was recommending the sweets to a parent yesterday whose child was off school with a sore throat!!! X x x. Hugs x x x
Old 15-10-2015, 01:31 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
Now my hopes are dashed !! and its psychological - though these ones were from a very old traditional shop, not packaged....though tried packaged too and did work there are ingredients I don't recognise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanne View Post
There is a marshmallow plant and I think in the days gone by the root of this plant had some form of medical cure for sore throats etc. My culpeppers herbalist book says anyway.
Seems something has been lost in the translation and our thoughts turn to fluffy sweets rather than boiled flower roots!!!!! But hey, whatever makes you feel better. I was recommending the sweets to a parent yesterday whose child was off school with a sore throat!!! X x x. Hugs x x x
Soooo maybe you are right Stellanne its the gelatin that coats, don't tell anyone the Egyptian recipe is now flawed through advance science......it would be like saying Mary Berry is an imposter ! love MB.