Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 20-08-2015, 04:54 PM   #21
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Rach!

The most important thing is to make a positive impression in the first two minutes because if you don't do that there is no chnace of being offered a job. All the research says that this happens even with the interviewers who are confident that they don't make up their mind in the first 2 minutes. The fact is that they do, and any scoring just gets manipulated to fit the decision the person already made.

So the first 2 minutes are key. Basics like eye contact and being well prepared are essential. Know as much about the job in advance and preapre some thoughtful questions of your own. Be willing to question the interviewers - how does this employer supoprt their staff? What training opportunities will there be?

If it's an interview with Bath Council have a look at the council website and see what you can find out. Make a point of asking a question that shows you have looked at the site and don't be too shy to say 'it says on your webiste that you plan to do such and such can you explain how you are going to achieve that?'.

And good luck!
Old 20-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #22
yuna1971
Adult

Thanks for that Jonno.
Yes I intend to get a shiny new suit for the interview stages.

What I would like is to be able to remember my examples so that I can confidently answer the questions. I want to be a person who is really confident. I know there must be people out there that just fly through interviews, like they just say all the right things and their answers just flow, and in the right structure.
Can anyone help with this at all? Memorising examples, saying the right thing - the above, basically ? xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #23
Stellanne
Hatchling

Rach, I am really like you with interviews and exams, anything that puts me on the spot.....all sense escapes my head and I talk drivel, and the problem is I KNOW I am talking rubbish.
Before I went to my interview my Headteacher suggested there may be a question on 'British values' as it was something OFSTED was keen to inspect. On the schools website they talked about these values so I wrote them down and memorised them in an order that made sense.......spelling out a word that kind of thing. Once I had memorised them, and it didn't take long I worked out how my job impacted on each 'value'.
Problem was, they didn't ask a question about 'British values' but what they did ask was that if I was interviewing what question would I ask!!! So of course I mentioned the website and made up a question around 'British values. Then they asked me to answer the question to which I joked I would have suggested something a bit easier to answer, but of course I had all I needed already in my head!!
So what I am saying, as no real expert, is write down bullet points, memorise the codes and the rest should flow because you know about the job. I think about it day and night, talking to myself and the mirror, practicing what I am going to say.
And like has been said before, you have jumped the first hurdle, your CV and application has worked enough to call you for interview......now show them your personality and that you know your stuff with enthusiasm x x x hugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #24
CherryBrandy
Adult

Try the 30 words and do the mirror thing Rach, it gives you more confidence in front of people - we are all in same boat I think with that - and then you will memorise your examples. Ask yourself a question and then reply in front of the mirror - it is v weird but it does work. it will be normal to ummm and arrrgh for ages and you will find your stumbling blocks but also you will come to remember your examples. a good interviewer will overlook nerves and try and support too. .....good luck ! CB
Old 21-08-2015, 01:45 PM   #25
vikki
Hatched

I personally think it is ok to take a notepad or similar in that you have jotted key points/questions you wish to ask etc. After all most interviewers will be taking notes of your responses so can work both ways and can also show you are organised, you can then use this to help remind you of key points if needed (just don't write an essay and have to spend 5 minutes after every question trying to find what you have written!!) Good luck, stay calm and remember you can only do your best
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #26
pagan queen
Adult

Be honest. When you go in, shake hands etc and then just say. "I'm a bit nervous as I haven't done this in a long time, so, sorry in advance if I get tongue tied". That way, they will admire your honesty, think you must be a good employee if you have been in the same job for so long you are out of practice re interviews and it will break the ice. Trying to be too confident isn't always a good thing, it can come across as cocky.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote