Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 28-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
herpderp
Egg

Default New Redfoot Enclosure

Hiya,
Well i've had my redfoots for over a year now and love them so much.
I've moved from Vivarium to Table and experimented with husbandry so much it's crazy.
I should have blogged it. Maybe one day I'll write a book!

I've decided Im going to investigate the possibility of moving them back into a terrarium/vivarium style enclosure. I've got a quote from Rickys Dovecotes, he can make me a 4 foot long table with a hinged perspex 2 piece lid for £85. I think thats a pretty good deal as he's done amazing work before.

I've also been looking at the Monkfield Nutrition range, I'm talking about the flat terrariums they do. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ht_1903wt_1139 Now, you make look at it and think what a poor idea. But bear this in mind, it's got ventilation, its got the same floor space as a large vivarium and I could even insert a heatmat for when its cold. The downsides? Well it's too shallow to have a bulb inside and a bulb suspended above might damage the glass. With a uv strip and heat mat I could replicate the environment of the forest floor I know Redfoots live on, that being a quite ambient light and heat source with uber humidity.

Currently I use one of those Sky Tortoise Pens, I like it... It's basically giving me the same dimensions as the terrarium but I can have my UVB above it due to the mesh on the top. Downsides? It bleeds humidity and theres a massive gradient in the temperature, around 15oc?!
Tried experimenting with the bulb being raised higher and lower but it's not working out with Redfoots. It would be perfect for a Horsefield or Hermanns but not a Redfoot.

Why not use a Vivarium? Size, I still don't have a permanent house and I have to move with work and stuff quite often and anyone who's driven down the M5 with a vivarium hanging out the back of a ford KA would know how I feel.

As always, your thoughts are welcome.
herpderp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
TillyTortoise
Adult

How many Redfoots do you want to keep in it, and what size are they?
Old 28-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
herpderp
Egg

I've got 2 Redfoots, Just over 1 year old. I mostly have them outdoors in an old rabbit run.
Old 28-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
FLINTUS
Juvenile

To be fair, a 3ft enclosure is a bit small at this stage and they're going to need at least 4 by 4 in a year or two's time. Quick husbandry tip, get rid of the heat mat and use a bulb, they can burn torts. Looking forward to some photos.
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
herpderp
Egg

Oh here you go, this is them at the moment.
http://flic.kr/p/cnsqt9
Old 29-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Nice but use a top layer subtrate of orchard bark or moss as soil will become waterlogged.
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote