Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 08-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
TDB
Incubating

Question Redfoot weights

Have had my redfoots for nearly a week weights are 74g with SCL of 69mm and 66g SCL 68mm they are a year. Have looked at the Jackson ratio but I understand this is not for this breed can any one advise and do these weights seem reasonable. Thanks
Tracey
TDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
herpderp
Egg

Seems abit low if im honest, my cherryhead redfoots are over 130 each and only about 9 months old.
herpderp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
TDB
Incubating

They were the biggest two out of the clutch aswell they are happy and eating well am offering a wide variety of edibles in a couple of locations within the viv there is always food left so they are obviously not hungry. Have introduced pellets as a bit of a boost have given them this twice mixed in with their fruits and they seem to like it. I ll keep my mince pies on them. Thanks for the advice

Tracey
Old 18-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
herpderp
Egg

Are they redfoots or cherryhead redfoots? Mine are Cherryheads and i make sure they always have a lot of food, but to be honest im not very rich and mostly feed them mushrooms, tomatoes and dandelions i pick from peoples gardens around town. I do make sure they eat their vitamins and i sometimes sprinkle powder on their food but they hate it and much prefer to munch on a cuttlefish bone anyway!
Old 18-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
TDB
Incubating

No they are Redfoots and adorable I have been feeding them twice a day small quantities of mixed weeds, dried hibiscus flowers and lettuce etc....I.m not rich either have three kids and they're not cheap to feed They are gaining weight so am not so overly concerned now, seem alert and happy and mine wont touch the cuttle fishlittle monkeys have got them eating small amount of pellets to supplemet them aswell as nutrobal sprinkled on food, I actually havent come across anything yet that they wont eat which is great. I have been advised to feed them every other day so am in the process of weaning them off two meals a day to one then I'll go to every other day. Do you give yours animal protein if so what do you give?
Old 18-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Box girl
Sub Adult

That's right twice a day is not needed as they will eat all year. Will keep them nice and smooth. Re the calcium I sprinkle on the food.

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
jonesy
Hatched

Just to say that redfoots really do need fruit in their diet so please try and get them some melon, kiwi, mango etc into their diet. I look at the reduced isles in the supermarkets and you can pick fruit and mushrooms up cheap.
Hope this helps
http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk
http://www.hedgehoglady.co.uk
http://www.gullrockfairbourne.co.uk Holiday home
jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
TDB
Incubating

I have been giving them fruit they love melon and mango and also the mushrooms am trying to give them as much variety as I can without over doing it am still learning about the Ca/p ratios in foods am often a little baffled by what I can put together? but they are definitely getting variety thanks for your advice its really helpful x
Tracey
Old 19-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #9
herpderp
Egg

I have given them a few worms from the garden, they bloody love chasing them and digging for them. I don't do it often though I mostly supplement with the exo terra tortoise adult pellets which contain almost everything they need but they don't like these as much.