Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 18-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #11
rachel30b
Sub Adult

Default gut impaction

what is gut impaction i have my tort on calci sand am going to get some hemp, what the proper name of it again hemp something
rachel30b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #12
wizzasmum

Aubiose or Hemcore depending on your stockist.
Old 13-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #13
bonjovitrace
Egg

Have a look at this pic of my torts- Lily (on the right) has been fed on natural weed diet and Tabitha was fed on a salad and pellet diet, its hard to believe there is only 6 months difference in age.....
bonjovitrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #14
wizzasmum

Hi Tracey
It's amazing that the fast growing one is a nice domed tort with little sign of pyramiding - nice looking tort.
Is the little one supplemented daily?
Old 13-10-2006, 09:34 PM   #15
Pitcorthie
Hatched

Gosh I can't believe the difference in size

Sharon
Pitcorthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 09:36 PM   #16
Fallen Angel
Sub Adult

Sadly i can as my tortoise (worzel) was fed on these and fruit and veg all day everyday for 5 years and he is twice the size he should be x Nicky
Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2006, 10:14 AM   #17
bonjovitrace
Egg

Hi there Sue,
Lily gets her Calcium everyday and Nutrobol every other day as per her breeder Arlene.
Tabitha's shell isnt as bad as I thought it was going to be when I got her, sadly the male who she previously lived with, who is 7, has a much worse shell.
Regards,
Tracey
bonjovitrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #18
yorkshirespambo
Egg

I bought some of these tortoise pellets a while ago for my giant land snail. It won't touch them. Since then I was given a Russian Tortoise for my birthday, Digger. I have read such bad reports about them they just sit on the shelf untouched. I wouldn't dream of giving him any. Besides he loves his weeds, pansies, water cress and rocket. Think he would wonder what was going on if I gave him mushy pellets.
I was shocked to find a garden centre in Hull feeding the tortoises they were selling on some awful looking red pellets the other week when I went in. Not a fresh leaf of any descrition in sight. Makes me wonder what they advise customers to feed these tortoises on.
I really think it is time they started tightening up on pet trade, particularly reptiles etc. I am sure that more often than not people are totally unaware of the huge committment they are taking on to care for these animals properly.
Pam
yorkshirespambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:32 AM   #19
Beverley
Adult

I saw those pellets in a newly opened large pet store over here, I suppose we are not allowed to name it, but I do like keeping my pets at home I asked for the manager and informed her of the danger of tortoise keepers feeding these to their tortoises and exolained why, she did say she would look into it, when I returned a week later I still see them on the shelf and did notice her heading into the store to avoid me, I wonder why
Beverley
Old 05-06-2007, 12:42 AM   #20
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Keep going in Beverley, maybe she will stay in the store room then and not order any more of them tortoise pellets.

Goes to show the ignorance and mentality of these pet shops and stores that have profits in mind before animal welfare.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote